German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've been kind of creeping around the internet trying to decide what forum I wanted to join to help me out with my 1 year old GSD, Bear. This one seems to be absolutely perfect for what I need :)

I rescued him about 2 months ago from an awful family. A friend of mine bought him from a Czech showing bloodline breeder in Kenai. She passed away about 8 months ago, leaving the puppy with her family, who has a sled dog team in the back, 5 other dogs, and 5 children all under the age of 16. Bear was left in the garage with a dog door to outside, and the children came out to play with him once in a blue moon.

When I got him, he didn't know what toys were, how to play with other dogs, or how to be an inside dog. Pleased to say, he has come leaps and bounds from the dog he was when he first came to live with me. He is an absolute goofball, and I am so pleased to have him.

I've owned 2 other shepherds in the past, all of them rescues. My latest one, Shelby, passed away in June at the ripe old age of 15. Bear has healed my heart from such a loss.

I hope to be able to be welcomed here and I'm really looking forward to getting all the advice I need for this handful I call Bear :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm sure you're more than welcome. But, gosh, we'd love photos of that handful you call Bear. To let you in on a little secret: many of us have "Bears" of our own. Welcome!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Bear sounds like a sweet boy considering the life he had. I would jump on socialization and obedience classes right away with him to get him in the swing of real life. A small class would be a good start to get him used to new people and animals while providing you guys some fun bonding time. I am sure he is grateful to be part of a real family now and welcome:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the sweet welcome :)

Bear is a very sweet boy considering the life he's had so far. He just turned a year old in October, and he's made so many improvements its almost brought a tear to my eye on multiple occasions. He's such an amazing dog, which I'm sure you know German Shepherds can be, its heartbreaking to know what kind of environment he was in.

My roommate has a lab/pit mix named Ginger that Bear is absolutely attached at the hip to. He's become a lot more used to being a house dog, and he is a HUGE cuddle bug.

I want to post pictures but the pictures I have need to be resized, and I'm not really sure how to post them on here. And tips?

I take him for a walk at least once a day, and I take him to the local dog park as often as I can. He gets along with almost all the dogs he gets along with, but he's still a puppy at heart so he can be a bit pushy. My roommate and I run through obedience with him everyday, although I'm still going to take him through the classes. I'm still on the fence of taking him to a trainer, or going through Shutzhund. The Alaska Shutzhund website is a bit vague, and when I tried to get in touch with them, I got no response, so I'm not really sure how they work. Do you know anything?

Again, thanks for the warm welcome, and I'm sorry I write a novel every time. I'm just excited to talk with people who know how to help me :)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
To post a pic first upload them on photobucket or some other picture sharing site. Then copy the the link and paste here. On photobucket they give you several different links to copy but use the link that starts and ends with IMG in brackets. Highlight the whole link, right click and click on copy, then open this thread, right click and hit paste:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Shark dog!

How much bigger Bear is than Ginger haha

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
lol i love the 3rd pic down. your gsd looks so viscious in it. welcome!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Beautiful animal ! I'm sure Bear is very thankful to be in a "Home" now !!!

Welcome to the forum, browse around, tons of information, wonderful people and even more wonderful ... our GSD's !!! :)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome! What a beautiful boy! He is very expressive for photos like my Victor!!! You can see he is a happy boy now!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

and yes, you can tell Bear is so happy now. He looks like he's constantly smiling :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
welcome! hope you enjoy the forum. I know i do. its a great place with many great people. Bear is a hellava good looking dog. He looks so happy... and BIG!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Welcome! Bear is such a handsome boy!! Thanks for bringing him home!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He's a great dog, truely a strike of good luck on my part :)

And he's huge! He's about 75 pounds and 26 1/2 inches at the shoulder! And he just turned a year old at the end of October. He's definately a handful haha

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Welcome! You can tell he's still a puppy, but wow! What a great looking puppy! I love the Bi's more and more everytime I see one :wub:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish you guys could meet him and see him in action. Definitley goofy just like most shepherds are around him age :)

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Welcome! Thank you for taking Bear in and giving him a happy loving home. It really shows in the photos how happy he is, and what a looker too!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts