German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a dog before, so this will be my first vet trip for shots etc. We got Ivan in July from a GSD Rescue, and took him to the vet for a quick check-up: no shots or blood tests. He had his rabies shots before we got him.

My question is (after I read the thread on vaccine dangers!) do we give him all the vaccines at once? The little sheet they sent us says Dapp+Bordetella, rabies booster and comp exam with vaccine and HW exam.

I'm nervous to take him Monday now. I don't want to do too much at once. Our vet seems to be somewhat "holistic" so maybe that means they aren't as quick to jump to medicine/vaccines that aren't necessary?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
He does NOT need any more vaccinations for at least two years then. Some people wouldn't vaccinate again, except for rabies. The suggested protocol is every 3 years now but the leader in the field, Dr. Ronald Schultz from UW-Madison Vet School believes that the vaccines actually last much longer. I haven't vaccinate my 13 yo dog for anything but rabies in 6 years.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Do vets just push the vaccines to make $$ or do they think they are necessary? I don't want to make my dog sick or take any risks that aren't worth it.

We don't board him or take him to doggy day care (I've heard that increases the risk for one of those things.)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Prob to make more $$ would be my guess.

When I took Janka for her second and last set of shots, the vet tech kept pushing me to do the bordetella. I told her flat out "No, we do not want that. Just give her the set of shots I already specify." And she went on and actually repeated it 2 more times.

Finally when the English language finally got through to her, and that No means NO, she gave me a dirty, disgusted look like I was a very irresponsible dog owner.

I wouldn't do the shots. And stand your ground if they tend to be pushy.

Good luck and congrats on your rescue, even if it's a little late.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: AdrienneThanks! Do vets just push the vaccines to make $$ or do they think they are necessary? I don't want to make my dog sick or take any risks that aren't worth it.

We don't board him or take him to doggy day care (I've heard that increases the risk for one of those things.)
While some vets like the income from annual shots, many are older and have taught to believe that annual shots are better and not harmful, and are unwilling to change their thinking.

Your dog doesn't need any of those shots. However, they may require the rabies, because they are treating it as the "one-year" booster, if they don't have evidence that the 3/07 was the first shot. Rabies requires initial vax, and then a booster one-year after. After that, the frequency depends on the laws of your county and/or state. Check what the laws are, and make sure that if you are in a 2 or 3 year state, then the vet gives the vaccine with the 3 year label. The vaccines for the 1 year and 3 year label are the same, but if there is a one year label used, then you must revax in one year.

The vet may argue that those vaccines are *needed* and may scare you about how dangerous it is to *not* give them. That's the argument that the vet used on me to revax my dog, and that was a mistake. Monday might be your first *test*. It's hard to look a vet in the eye, when s/he is telling you that you are harming your dog, and stick to your guns.

Good luck, and congratulations on your first dog -- and great that you have a rescue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I went on Monday and voiced my concerns. He said since we have no record of previous vaccines.....since he was a stray he might not have had any....he gave him the vaccines.

He got the 3 yr. rabies, and the vet said that next year we can titer and then we probably will not do any more vaccines (besides the required rabies every 3 yrs)

However, he said a friend of his is doing some type of fundraiser for research on vaccines and how they last longer than once thought, so he seems to be on board with not vaccinating.

Now, my question is....he mentioned that titering is $$ so can I just say "no" to titering AND the vaccines next year?

I kind of feel like I backed down, but since Ivan was relatively young when found as a stray, then maybe he never did get any of those vaccines.

Thank you all for your input! Oh, and he gave me this nice easy to read handout for feeding raw. Plus, some extra things to add to his diet if I don't the the time/resources to feed raw exclusively. Other than the whole vaccine issue, I was very pleased with my first "real" vet visit. And.....they said he "looks great!!"

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Actually the best way to titer -and to see if the vaccine "took" -is 2 weeks after the dog got his shots.

Now, my question is....he mentioned that titering is $$ so can I just say "no" to titering AND the vaccines next year?

Absolutely! You don't have to titer if you don't want to vaccinate.
Yes, titering can be quite expensive. I just ran a rabies titer on my male and it cost me over $160.-. Outch!
But I really want to know if he's protected since we frequently see rabies here in wildlife. I don't bother running titers for parvo/distemper (although they're cheaper) since he's had his puppy shots and prob. comes frequently in contact with it on our hikes.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Ivan didn't get vaccines through the rescue? I'm confused.

Anyway, you only need to titer for rabies if you choose not to do that. Otherwise I think you'll be fine. That's the only thing I titer for and only because I'm required to by law.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I titer for Parvo and Distemper because I board Dante, I'm just happy to have found a kennel that accepts titers!!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Originally Posted By: Barb E.I titer for Parvo and Distemper because I board Dante, I'm just happy to have found a kennel that accepts titers!!!
Good point. I don't board my dogs so this isn't something I have to deal with. More and more kennels, training facilities and daycare places are accepting titers. There is a daycare playgroup I would like to take Rafi to but they require bordatella and I don't want to give it to him so I guess he won't get to go there.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaedchenRuth,
how much did you pay for the rabies titer?
I couldn't believe how much I had to pay.
It was a couple of years ago and I had to get them for both Basu and Chama. I think it was $75/titer? Really expensive. My vet has decided that since they only need the vaccine every three years that they should only need the titer every three years too. Thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow
Originally Posted By: Barb E.I titer for Parvo and Distemper because I board Dante, I'm just happy to have found a kennel that accepts titers!!!
Good point. I don't board my dogs so this isn't something I have to deal with. More and more kennels, training facilities and daycare places are accepting titers. There is a daycare playgroup I would like to take Rafi to but they require bordatella and I don't want to give it to him so I guess he won't get to go there.
I do have to give Dante Bordatella, but my vet puts on his records for a year. So Dante gets that as needed, but not more than once a year and Rabies. His Rabies is due this year.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: AdrienneWell, I went on Monday and voiced my concerns. He said since we have no record of previous vaccines.....since he was a stray he might not have had any....he gave him the vaccines.

He got the 3 yr. rabies, and the vet said that next year we can titer and then we probably will not do any more vaccines (besides the required rabies every 3 yrs)

However, he said a friend of his is doing some type of fundraiser for research on vaccines and how they last longer than once thought, so he seems to be on board with not vaccinating.

I kind of feel like I backed down, but since Ivan was relatively young when found as a stray, then maybe he never did get any of those vaccines.

Thank you all for your input! Oh, and he gave me this nice easy to read handout for feeding raw. Plus, some extra things to add to his diet if I don't the the time/resources to feed raw exclusively. Other than the whole vaccine issue, I was very pleased with my first "real" vet visit. And.....they said he "looks great!!"
Sounds like you found yourself a good vet

1 - 19 of 19 Posts