German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at this very minute Zues (11 weeks) is trying his first leg quarter. He wasted no time grabbing it out of his bowl and started nawing on what i am presuming is the tail end of the ribs, possibly part of the spine. He hasnt quite got down ripping off the meat yet but he sure is gnawing at this thing...

Now my 2 yr old GSD who is picky about eating isnt really touching hers. She gave it a lick and then just kind of left it. So we will see how she does. For now its in the bowl next to me waiting for her to show some interest.

Well he just figured out that if he holds it down with his paw he can rip easier.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well Zues downed his, chewed every bit of it without gulping. Sasha on the other hand showed no real interest I even tried feeding her a couple chunks by hand of which she had no interest. I did find out that she already had 2 cups of food today didnt know the wife had fed her so that may be the cause. Cleaned it off baggied and put in fridge for tomorrows attempt. She loves cooked turkey .. dont know why she would not like raw chicken

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
She loves cooked turkey .. dont know why she would not like raw chicken
Cooked turkey SMELLS great!! Kibble is sprayed with fats to MAKE it smell great to dogs.

Raw meat has very little odor. Dogs that are used to their food smelling strongly may not realize that raw meat IS food.

Let her skip a meal so she's good and hungry and then feed the pup first. A little competition sometimes really helps!

If that doesn't work you can always LIGHTLY sear the thing in a frying pan with a little garlic and butter. Just warm it enough to bring out the scent of the meat.

·
Registered
31,998 Posts
Jax refused the chicken the first couple of times. Getting her to eat liver was torture! But she got the hang of it and now gobbles it down in 60 seconds flat

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Ha, I remember when Onyx and Kacie got their first raw meal...I fed them outside and ran back in to grab my camera to get a picture for Patti. They had devoured their leg 1/4's in that short time!
After being fed kibble for so long, many dogs don't relate real meat with food.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well today when i got home Zues was excited more then usual. I got their chicken quarters out from the fridge and took Zues' to him. He didnt even bother getting out of his pen. I left the door open to experiment if he would rather eat or run around the house and he has not moved from his pen while eating his chicken. Sasha took a little convincing today that she should eat it. It is almost as if she thinks that shes going to get in trouble if she takes it. I chopped a piece of the rib off and gave her just that to give her a little smaller chunk to make it more treatish and praying she didnt just swallow it. She chewed it up and then actually took the 1/4. She still acts like its a no no. So we are praising her and patting her while shes eating to make her understand that she is allowed to have that chicken. But so far all is well. You can tell Zues is more then willing to share anything shes not going to eat.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Cooked turkey SMELLS great!! Kibble is sprayed with fats to MAKE it smell great to dogs.

Raw meat has very little odor. Dogs that are used to their food smelling strongly may not realize that raw meat IS food.

Let her skip a meal so she's good and hungry and then feed the pup first. A little competition sometimes really helps!

If that doesn't work you can always LIGHTLY sear the thing in a frying pan with a little garlic and butter. Just warm it enough to bring out the scent of the meat.
You can always dress like a waiter and present the food in a silver tureen. Or get one of those small hot plates and prepare the food bowl-side.

Perhaps flambe it to get the digestive juices running?

Wait I know, how about Japanese Hibachi theme? What dog could resist.

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts