German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, as the topic states I am the proud new owner of a German Shepherd puppy who is about 6 weeks old. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a new owner. I'm not a new dog owner but Kujo will be my first big breed and i wasn't sure if there were some sort of special activities that should be done with him. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Welcome to the site, can't wait to see pictures.

You'll probably realize that if your pup is 6 weeks old, that's a few weeks younger than most breeders recommend (and isn't even legal in my state of PA). Just means you have to be more concious of all the socialization he'll be missing that the other pups can take advantage.

Here's some info to help with that so you can try to make up the lack, it's amazing how much the bitch, littermates, and good breeder can help make a perfect puppy in the weeks between 6 and 8 :

Age to take Puppy Home

Understanding Your Puppies Socialization Needs | Swank Pets Dog Blog

Your New Puppy

German Shepherd Puppies Information | German Shepherd Owner Tips

Starke Pfoten German Shepherd Puppy Life - First 8 weeks

Von Stroman German Shepherd Puppy Primer, Part I

Ask The Dog Guide: What Age Should A Puppy Go Home? | Dog Reflections

Dog Owner's Guide: Should you breed your dog?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Special activities would include lots of socialization, limited constant exercise like running or long walks on hard surfaces on lead, no jumping, and a good diet with a low calcium content such as Orijen Large Breed Puppy.

Congrats!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy!! I suggest you just read up on the forums around here and listen to these guys, most of em are really experienced and are extremely helpful!! Can't wait to see pics!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I didn't expect such fast replies. Looks like I have some reading for tonight. Thanks for all the information and help.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts