German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Growning up I always had Wolf/Malamute Hybrids. But I have always wanted a German Shepard. I reccently purchased one, without papers. I chose him from a pup after looking over his beautiful parents. His Father was pure black and mother bi colored black and tan. He came out pure black, but has some odd features to him, so I am concerned maybe somewhere down the line he is not "pure" (even though most dogs aren't pure breed anymore) He has a spec of white on his chest, which I understand are normal, but what gets me is this white patch on his tail. It is like a thick white undercoat under his black, that is only on the top part of his tail in a perfect spot. It is very coarse and turns into a weird puff ball on his beautiful sleek tail when he is angry or excited. The fur on the tip of his tail curls, like in a weird spiral off the tip. Overall I know he is a beautiful german shepard, I am just curious if these odd things are normal? Or if he really does have some odd mix in him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Post a picture if you can - might help

Some GSD do have patches of white or a curly tail.

Without papers, our guess is as good as yours!

By the way, it's "Shepherd"
Well Here is his tail and Weird white on his tail. And I know, I was using my phone and it auto corrects to that for some off reason.

My other Concern I forgot to post is his eye color, sometimes it looks a light brown, but most of the time it is a gray/green/blue color, as if his puppy eyes have yet to go away. He is 13 Weeks right now though.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Kind of tough to tell on regards to the coloring. But I have seen solid black dogs with weird undercoat. It usually corrects as they get their adult coats. My boy had a white tip on his tail. But it's gone now.

He looks purebred to me. But again, with no papers it's anyone's guess.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kind of tough to tell on regards to the coloring. But I have seen solid black dogs with weird undercoat. It usually corrects as they get their adult coats. My boy had a white tip on his tail. But it's gone now.

He looks purebred to me. But again, with no papers it's anyone's guess.

True, Regardless he is a beautiful pup. Most likely I am going to get him DNA tested later on, My Aunt In law runs her Pit in the show rings up here and he is constantly winning, she asked if she would be allowed to train him and take him into the ring once hes a bit older and his puppy coat and teething is over since he is a pain with his stubbornness. Soooo eventually I will need to find out, I was just curious if anyone else had the weird undercoat thing and what not. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
True, Regardless he is a beautiful pup. Most likely I am going to get him DNA tested later on, My Aunt In law runs her Pit in the show rings up here and he is constantly winning, she asked if she would be allowed to train him and take him into the ring once hes a bit older and his puppy coat and teething is over since he is a pain with his stubbornness. Soooo eventually I will need to find out, I was just curious if anyone else had the weird undercoat thing and what not. Thanks for the advice!

Can't show an unregistered dog in the conformation ring. Sorry.

You can get an AKC ILP number and show in performance events like agility, obedience and rally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The breeder I got him from explained to me that registering him is not that difficult, Is it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are both parents AKC registered?
He said neither are registered, but that is because their parent's were not registered either. He said he could always go out and get his register t never cared to, and this was his first litter so he wanted to test out how the pups turn out before registering them. How can I register my pup, if his parents aren't. Because if that is the case, how will my breeder register his dog if their parents aren't registered either...?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Well that's just exactly it, you won't be able to register your dog with a reputable breed registry like the AKC because there were no records kept of your pup's history.

Keep in mind that some people try to circumvent the AKC by registering their dogs with the Continental kennel club or National kennel club. These are not reputable registries and your dog will not be able to show. AKC, UKC, SV shows require proper registration of the dog shown.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
If I were you, I would love your pup and enjoy him. You can participate in performance events as they do not require pedigreed dogs, but your dog will not be able to show since he is not registered and won't be able to be registered.

But if you are serious about showing or tracing your dog's lineage, you should consider going with a reputable breeder next time around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts