German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Lots of people don't believe "protective" behavior in a puppy can happen before 12-18 months. But I've been around awhile, and I can see it manifest in pretty young puppies.

My own dog, and you can check there were some spirited debates here on this forum about her protective nature early on, but she's grown into that now...at 4 yrs. She's awesome!

Not overly aggressive, and maybe doesn't have the fight in her that some people want, I don't know, and don't care to test and/or bring that out.

But she's definitely protective still...
Yeah our boy is not aggressive but it's more he watches and is extremely alert to the kids my youngest flee over he bolted to him crying my puppy started crying and licking him just sat beside him .

My Vet Runs our german Shepherd club obedience classes , and trains dogs for show same thing said as early as 12 weeks it can be seen .

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Sounds like you have a great puppy! Enjoy him!

Reactions: ShareenaF

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Post a picture please! We all like pictures!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts

Reactions: Biscuit

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
or the paper clip

Reactions: David Winners

·
Registered
7,308 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sometimes terminology gets in the way. Obviously there are degrees of development between a protective, albeit capable personal dog, and a family dog trained in personal protection. Protection drive as tested by police forces in young pups is probably more like, "precursors" to developing protection drive. Police often compare pups of a litter where one observes the pup while a distant individual fires a dry round to see how a pup reacts to noise. So I would be inclined to think at the very least you have an attentive dog in the making. At 13 weeks, my GSD would rush the back door and get pretty intense in addressing my grown dogs outside the house. She has continued to develop a healthy dose of protection drive, and knows no backing down. SO - take that for what it's worth. Also, there are plenty of vids out there showing LE evaluating pups, so there must be some validity/value in it:
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thank you sorry if I used wrong terminology all I ment was he shows he cares and will jump to my kids defence .

For a rehomed pup he is incredible intelligent lovable and affectionate minus his sometimes landshark manners 🤣🤣🤣 we love him don't mind if he is no cop dog enforcer

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thank you sorry if I used wrong terminology all I ment was he shows he cares and will jump to my kids defence .

For a rehomed pup he is incredible intelligent lovable and affectionate minus his sometimes landshark manners 🤣🤣🤣 we love him don't mind if he is no cop dog enforcer
No apologies needed! I am sure I say the wrong term here and there. I've only been looking into the GSD for the last 3-4 years, and only got my GSD 26 mos ago. I'm pretty much in the same boat with this breed.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts