German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone ,

We got this little guy at 8 weeks who was sadly rehomed :( so we don't know anything about his background at all .
We have had people stop us and tell us he is a very well bred dog but honestly we would not know 馃ぃ hoping for some tips and tricks !
Also love to know how you think his colouring will change .

15 weeks Darcy

Attachments

Registered
He will be Black and Tan with a saddle. Most of the dark will lighten. He鈥檚 very cute and looks purebred. It鈥檚 almost impossible to tell if a young puppy is well bred from a picture.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that's what I thought ! Thank you for taking the time to comment :)
Had a few older people stop us who apparently have bred shepherds their whole lives and said what a beautiful well bred boy he is .
I'm hoping he keeps the darker face. Such a vocal dog 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for your reply ! definitely a full time job hahah luck he is good looking.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Are their signs or traits you can tell on if he has been bred well ? I'm so glad we could give him a home he deserves but its hard not knowing his background .

Premium Member
Gunnar Vom Langer Strand (gsd), Dynamic's Bogan Vom Langer Strand (boxer)
What a handsome guy you've got there!

As far as his breeding, without seeing the parents and knowing their pedigrees or health history, you can never really know- especially as this age.

What you can do, is educate yourself on the gsd breed standard. As Darcy grows and matures, compare what you see in him against what is written in the standard. Thankfully, breed standards are written in a way that make "desirable" traits fairly objective and quantifiable. Pay close attention to how the standard describes correct angulation, movement and expression. The physical characteristics are fairly easy to judge, as he grows to adulthood. Pay attention to his temperament- yes, it's pretty much laid out in the standard, too.

Keep up with his vet exams, feed appropriately, keep him active, keep training sessions fun, enjoy the heck out of him and he'll prove to be as "well bred" as any champion.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Chuck :)
He is a very confident pup and learns very quickly adores children and loves other dogs .
He is showing signs of protection when we are at the beach he never takes his eyes off the kids swimming .

He is almost completely house trained and knows sit drop up shake wait .
Thank you for the tips I do a considerable amount of comparing online 馃ぃ馃ぃ just not real good at it not even sure if he is angle back or straight back .... Hahaha love this forum an absolute well

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Have to disagree he shows alertness , also the vet said protective / guarding instincts can start from as early as 12 weeks particularly in males . I guess it is one of those things you have to see for yourself .

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ omg I know !! It's terrible ! I'm currently WFH that is our study he watches me work and occasionally trys climbing on the desk ....
Happy to report at night he sleeps through and soundly on his bed
not.mine 馃ぃ

Super Moderator
Have to disagree he shows alertness , also the vet said protective / guarding instincts can start from as early as 12 weeks particularly in males . I guess it is one of those things you have to see for yourself .
I mean no disrespect to your vet, but next time you are in for a weight and meds, ask him how many GSDs he's trained in protection.

Vets are good at veterinary care. They are typically not trainers. Ask yourself where you will learn more about how a GSD matures and their protective instincts, in an isolated office or on the training field?

Reactions: LuvShepherds

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
No offence taken my fault , I did not specify my vet actually runs the local German Shepherd club , hence why we use her . Very knowledgeable about the breed and has been doing it for.the last 20 odd years .

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I should add due to covid they have not been able to run classes . So will be taking him once they are open again

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I mean no disrespect to your vet, but next time you are in for a weight and meds, ask him how many GSDs he's trained in protection.

Vets are good at veterinary care. They are typically not trainers. Ask yourself where you will learn more about how a GSD matures and their protective instincts, in an isolated office or on the training field?
But thank you for your feedback always great talking to people who have knowledge of this wonder ful breed

Registered
Lots of people don't believe "protective" behavior in a puppy can happen before 12-18 months. But I've been around awhile, and I can see it manifest in pretty young puppies.

My own dog, and you can check there were some spirited debates here on this forum about her protective nature early on, but she's grown into that now...at 4 yrs. She's awesome!

Not overly aggressive, and maybe doesn't have the fight in her that some people want, I don't know, and don't care to test and/or bring that out.

But she's definitely protective still...

Reactions: ShareenaF
1 - 20 of 34 Posts