German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i'm a first time owner and so far my puppy behaves nicely(stopped chewing on things,only gets out of crate/leaving room after the release word(i train him with cheese and chicken),puppy biting is fine he just bites when hes inviting me to play and we just play with a toy afterwards,he has this problem sometimes he nips out of reflex if i touch him from behind but his bite is soft(can i do anything about this?I take him out 2 times a day 15 mins each he is pretty confident and small/medium sized dogs are afraid of him for some reason when he only wants to play,he even barked back and advanced few steps on a adult gsd that was over a fence(is this normal?).Can i get any advice please am i doing something wrong?Any not do things?I just want to not mess this up and end up giving him or putting him down...
Ps: he is 3 months and a half

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum! As for advice, look in the puppy section of the forum. TONS of good information there on everything from house breaking, living arrangements, and early training tips! Congratulations on the new puppy!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Seek out information, here, but also in books and on youtube. Some names to search up include Bart Ballon, Michael Ellis, Ivan Balibov, Larry Krohn, Stonnie Dennis. There are others I'm sure. Also, if you could find a local trainer to help you with training, it would be invaluable. Look for someone who works with working line dogs, not Petsmart.

I'm not a trainer, but my general advice would be to focus on providing lots of structure in the home, set clear rules and provide plenty of exercise.

·
Super Moderator
4,735 Posts
those are some great resources. I'd also add look at the blog posts on The Collared Scholar site. Lots of great free and good advice there to get you started.

In the meantime, if you have anything specific it helps to take one thing at a time.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
One of the most crucial thing to teach a GSD pup is to keep the reactiveness to the bare minimum. The more he ignores other dogs and other people the better. As long as he is relaxed and listens to you.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just like with horses, you never come up from behind to touch them and startle them. Natural defense is to nip or if a horse, kick out. Always approach from the front and speak to the pup first. Once he trusts you and settles in, it may be ok to do it but for now just approach from the front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts