German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here and an owner of labs; that is my passion, homing senior labs. But DH would love to have a GSD and he has been so sweet and patient, taking on a huge bulk of the care of our seniors, would like our next senior to be a GSD. We consider a senior to be 7 years or older, in fact, our youngest lab was 7 when we got her and called her our puppy. We have had both rescues and retired show labs.

This brings up a lot of questions. I know how to research getting a senior lab, but what should I be looking for in a GSD? If a retired show dog, what clearances are normally done? In a rescue, what health/temperament issues should I be conscious of? This dog will need be comfortable around small children who come to visit at least once a week. One of our labs had never been around small children and was weary but very even tempered; with respect of his space and time, he now greets them all looking for hugs and pats.

Know this is a very broad question but if you could point me in the right direction, would really appreciate it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts