German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all my name is Sabrina! Five days ago I welcomed my 8 week old baby boy, Tyju to my home. I’ve had and currently have another pomchi in my family and in the same household as my puppy. (She is very much interested in him but only from a distance lol.) I’ve always wanted a big dog so I decided to take action on it. I am a young puppy mama, but have the support of my family by my side. Although I am still just so very nervous and anxious in raising the little guy, hoping he will grow up to be well mature. - Especially in the household with my ill grandfather living with us....- I know I should not expect a instant change right now but just worried for training is very difficult and frustrating for me right now. He gets distracted easily, and isn’t motivated by food....I just have so many questions and am very curious to learn more about this breed specifically. Hoping that being a member on this will help! Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
get help from another GSD owner, someone who has a dog who behaves in a way you like. Keep your pup away from grandpa for now. These little guys are impulsive and like to play rough. It can take 6 months to 2 years for our dogs to be calm enough to handle hanging out with the elderly. My big-boy was too rambunctious to hang out with my mom as a pup. He was a scamp. As an adult, though, he was very good with my mother.

Remember to play with your pup. Toys are perfect for teething and chomping but you can't just give the toy to your pup. You have to play with the pup using the toy and he'll learn to chomp the toy, not you or your grandfather. Be calm and firm. If you loose your temper or get frustrated it is time to put your pup down for a nap and take a break yourself. A tired puppy will be naughty, just like a tired child. A tired trainer will get grumpy, and that won't help you or your pup. Naps are a good thing. Keep your "training" times short and fun. Everything else is keeping the pup nearby so that if it starts to make a mess in the home or chew on something it shouldn't you can swoop in and deal with it. Fussing at the pup after the damage is done is useless.

Glad you are here. If you have specific questions there are plenty of folks here who can give advice and links to good training videos, etc. Take videos of yourself working with your pup. The videos aren't for sharing on the internet but so that you can see what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

This is a great place to ask any and all questions. :)

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Congratulations on the new puppy! And calm down! If you're anxious or nervous the puppy will be too! You've got plenty of time for training in the years ahead, for now just play with and enjoy your puppy! Let him follow you around exploring, they love that! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I too am a first-time GSD owner even though I've had other dog breeds before. GSD pups are tough. Go on and explore this forum you'll find a lot of helpful stuff!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am also a first time GSD owner and I really think he thinks he is more dominant over me. I'm 4'10 about 115 pounds and he is already 73 pounds. He listens well to my fiance, John. He just doesn't seem to want to listen to me as well. Please, if anyone can help. I will try anything at this point. He follows me around everywhere I go. Literally. We had a rough start in the beginning with his broken leg and surgery. He listens to commands when i have treats. He knows a lot of them. It is when we are outside. Thank you for your time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts