German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought our first GSD puppy. She tuned 8 weeks last Friday. We are absolutely in love with her! She's so smart and catches on so quick. The breeder said her colors were sable. I've been looking at pictures of other sable puppies to see what kind of sable she is. I haven't found anything like her. So now I'm wondering if she is really full blooded. Her tail also curls over her back is that normal? Of course we love her anyway but she is supposed to be AKC and I don't want to register her if she isn't full blooded. We want to do a DNA test but it won't be until later.

***sorry I don't know how to rotate the pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
I could be wrong and more photos especially of her back and side views of her standing might be better but she looks brindle to me. I know it is a color that GSD's come in but it isn't common.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I agree that your puppy looks brindle. Brindle is very controversial: the color was supposed to have been bred out of the breed ages ago, but ever so often, someone posts a picture of a brindle GSD and they swear up and down that the dog is pure-bred.

It is possible that she is mixed. A bitch can get impregnated by more than one dog, and the puppies born in the same litter can have different sires.

Do you have a pedigree for your puppy?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I saw awhile ago where a breeder was trying to breed merle GSD's she had bred an Aussie with a GSD and every litter after had been GSD to GSD and she boasted that because it was such and such generations back they would all test out as 100% GSD's and would provide documentation with the puppies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brindle is exactly how I would describe her colors. She is changing quickly. She didn't have any brindle on her when she was smaller. This was around 5 weeks. I'll have to get a better picture of her standing now. I don't have a pedigree. All I have is her AKC papers. Her Mom was all white and Dad was all black. They were selling 4 female puppies. 2 sables and 2 black and tan.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Gorgeous puppy!!!

In the picture with the cloves, she looks so tiny!

You're spot on when you say she's learning/catching on so quick. It is scary how smart GSDs can be! Enjoy the puppy stage and remember in her training that she is just a puppy! And puppies love to have fun!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also OP don't let us scare you away. We aren't saying anything bad about your puppy, she is cute and enjoy her.
No worries!!? We adore her! If she isn't full we won't mind. Just don't want to register her as something she isn't. It will be a little upsetting if we were lied to! ?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
My first thought was that she is brindle as well. Nothing wrong with that, but that probably means she is mixed. I'm glad you will love her anyway, and I totally understand being upset about being lied to. The best I can say is that maybe the breeders weren't educated and truly thought the parents were purebred? At least then they wouldn't be trying to deceive you. You could do a DNA test to see what she comes back with.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
She is cute! I have seen two brindles in my life, one who may or may not have been purebred(questionable breeder) and one that no one was able to question at all. The second one shared a similar sire line to my own dog.
If you can post the names of your pups parents someone may be able to help sort it out for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My first thought was that she is brindle as well. Nothing wrong with that, but that probably means she is mixed. I'm glad you will love her anyway, and I totally understand being upset about being lied to. The best I can say is that maybe the breeders weren't educated and truly thought the parents were purebred? At least then they wouldn't be trying to deceive you. You could do a DNA test to see what she comes back with.
We do plan to do a DNA test mainly just oit of curiosity. Her parents both looked full blooded. I know looks don't really mean much. They were beautiful GSD's. We have no plans to breed her so the AKC was really just paperwork to us. Anyone have recommendations on a DNA test? I have no idea what to look for.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The problem may be that the dog they think is the sire is not actually the sire. Multiple puppies from the same litter can have different sires, and the breeder would be none the wiser.

Also, I have heard good things about Embark DNA tests.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
You can't get sables AND Black and tans if the Dad was all black. Me thinks another dog got in there and sired the pups.

Black is recessive. The Dad can ONLY pass on a black color gene, nothing else.

White is a masking gene. It covers up the normal expression of color that the Mom has genetically.

The Mom could be sable, which is dominant, so it is possible for her to produce sable pups. All it takes in one sable gene from mom, for a puppy to be sable.

But Black and Tan is also recessive. Pup must inherit TWO genes of black and tan to be black and tan: One from mom, and one from dad.

But Dad only has black genes to pass on. So if Mom is Sable (must be sable to produce sable pups), and carries the recessive Black and Tan, the puppies need two copies of the B&T to be black and tan. One from the Mom, but where did the other one come from?

So not very likely that the male you saw is the actual Sire of the litter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can't get sables AND Black and tans if the Dad was all black. Me thinks another dog got in there and sired the pups.

White is a masking gene. It covers up the normal expression of color that the Mom has genetically.

The Mom could be sable, which is dominant, so it is possible for her to produce sable pups. All it takes in one sable gene from mom, for a puppy to be sable.

But Black and Tan is also recessive. Pup must inherit TWO genes of black and tan to be black and tan: One from mom, and one from dad.

But Dad only has black genes to pass on. So if Mom is Sable (must be sable to produce sable pups), and carries the recessive Black and Tan, the puppies need two copies of the B&T to be black and tan. One from the Mom, but where did the other one come from?

Thank you! I'm thinking about contacting the other people that bought puppies to see what they look like. I should have checked them out more. Now I'm worried about health issues. I don't want our girl to have any problems. We've lost 3 furbabies in less than a year. My kids couldn't handle if something happened to this pup.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
She's adorable! I'd love to see some recent pictures of her, particularly in profile standing up, or of her whole body. Did you get her from an amateur breeder or a professional breeder who trains and/or works their dogs in something? She does look brindle to me, but I'm no expert. Does the breeder also own any brindle breeds like the dutch shepherd? She looks like a wonderful dog!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
how do pictures one and two relate to the 3rd puppy picture.

send a picture of the pup standing showing the side.

who are the sire and the dam?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Brindle is exactly how I would describe her colors. She is changing quickly. She didn't have any brindle on her when she was smaller. This was around 5 weeks. I'll have to get a better picture of her standing now. I don't have a pedigree. All I have is her AKC papers. Her Mom was all white and Dad was all black. They were selling 4 female puppies. 2 sables and 2 black and tan.
that is not brindle .
that is sable coat changing -

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how do pictures one and two relate to the 3rd puppy picture.

send a picture of the pup standing showing the side.

who are the sire and the dam?
The picture with her ears up is 8 weeks exactly. The picture of her sleeping is 7 weeks exactly. The puppy picture is her around 5 weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She's adorable! I'd love to see some recent pictures of her, particularly in profile standing up, or of her whole body. Did you get her from an amateur breeder or a professional breeder who trains and/or works their dogs in something? She does look brindle to me, but I'm no expert. Does the breeder also own any brindle breeds like the dutch shepherd? She looks like a wonderful dog!
As far as I know they only have the parents. They are just individuals not technically a "breeder"

·
Registered
6,734 Posts

@Castlemaid what about bi color? Is that the same gene as black and tan? Only asking because my "black" female was I believe actually a bi-color, but instead of the tan feet she had tan streaks on her legs that in some conditions were very hard to detect. I believe it was a Blackthorn pup that recently popped up with the same coloration as my girl and was determined to be a bi-color.
So if in this case the OP's puppies sire was actually a bi would that account for the coloration of the litter?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts