German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I just found this site- I got my boy Rari Klaus 2 weeks ago.
Check out those ears!! They fluctuate- this picture is a few days old, recently they have been more floppy.
I’ve had many large breed dogs in my life, but I’m completely new to the German Shepherd breed. Any breed-specific advice?
I’m having him start doggie daycare tomorrow to get him socialized with some other dogs. I want to make sure he’s dog-friendly as my other dogs turned very fear-reactive and scary to bring places.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Be prepared for a GSD to potentially not be the best doggie day care applicant as he gets older.
Cute pup, train him well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be prepared for a GSD to potentially not be the best doggie day care applicant as he gets older.
Cute pup, train him well.
Yes, fully prepared. I was honestly shocked he passed his “assessment” for the daycare but he did with flying colors.
It’s his best chance of being dog-friendly I think. My previous dogs being super protective & dog-reactive makes me panicky when another dog approaches us, which I know is a bad recipe for my pup.

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
Yes, fully prepared. I was honestly shocked he passed his “assessment” for the daycare but he did with flying colors.
It’s his best chance of being dog-friendly I think. My previous dogs being super protective & dog-reactive makes me panicky when another dog approaches us, which I know is a bad recipe for my pup.
maybe in that setting.
it also runs the risk of making him more dog oriented in general which can fuel leash frustration and reactivity. my most reactive gsd (co owned with an ex) looked like Cujo on walks, was a dream in dog play groups. they’re essentially conditioned to high states of arousal around other dogs being the norm vs other dogs just being a part of the environment. im not against dog daycares but i have not come across many with an ideal set up and structure… nor can i identify a point in my dogs life where i’d find it beneficial. during those young, impressionable years, i’d prefer to control 100% of their experiences… once mature, many gsd are no longer a good fit for those types of environments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts