German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Griff is slightly favoring his right front leg by avoiding pressure on the large pad but does walk on that leg with a hardly noticeable limp. He is a few days short of 5 months old. He hasn't done anything stupid or scary besides playing and running with Deja so I haven't seen a moment in which he could have been injured. I manage these sessions carefully. He is on LPB puppy food in the AM and raw in the PM. I have always kept him trim. He doesn't react when I squeeze his leg, pads or toes and there are no thorns or anything I could detect in his pads. But I won't manipulate elbows as I am not educated in this. Will take him to the vet if it doesn't resolve in the next few days. Hooray for insurance. Argh..the joy and stres of raising a GSD pup.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
It might be. Gently squeeze the long bone in the leg. If it’s pano he will groan. If it seems to be pano, let the vet know, but other than pain meds, there is nothing they can do. If you use meds, he will run on it. Sometimes it's better for them to rest it than to put too much weight on it.

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
Pano officially diagnosed by squeezing leg by vet on the 25th. Joints nice and flexible. For over a week he has been given een mixture of Turmeric and Coconut oil once a day and CBD oil twice a day. Today is the 10th day and he is improving quickly. Limping is a lot less and he puts his foot down in a sit. I am not experienced enough with Pano to know if this is a fast recovery or not but I am continuing this treatment. Maybe CBD oil is an idea for others.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Update:
Pano officially diagnosed by squeezing leg by vet on the 25th. Joints nice and flexible. For over a week he has been given een mixture of Turmeric and Coconut oil once a day and CBD oil twice a day. Today is the 10th day and he is improving quickly. Limping is a lot less and he puts his foot down in a sit. I am not experienced enough with Pano to know if this is a fast recovery or not but I am continuing this treatment. Maybe CBD oil is an idea for others.
Sheba has just today recovered from her 5th bout of Panosteitis. She has never been prescribed pain meds. The bigger issue has been her getting off her food each time the pano flares up. Symptoms generally last from several days to several weeks each time, and tend to disappear once the long bones have ceased growing. Sheba has had it in the same leg three times to date, once in each hind leg, and so far her left front leg has been unaffected. She never seems to be much bothered by it; doesn't seem to be particularly painful for her, but it does cause a pronounced limp, and as I said above, she loses her appetite.

Sheba's Panosteitis History:

Flareup #1: right front leg... began on Jan 20/2018 (at 23 weeks old) and lasted for 7 days
Flareup #2: right hind leg.... began on Feb 03/2018 (at 25 weeks old) and lasted for 12 days
Flareup #3: right front leg... began on Apr 07/2018 (at 30 weeks old) and lasted for 22 days
Flareup #4: left hind leg...... began on Apr 27/2018 (at 37 weeks old) and lasted for 10 days
Flareup #5: right front leg... began on May 19/2018 (at 40 weeks old) and lasted for 10 days

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sheba has just today recovered from her 5th bout of Panosteitis. She has never been prescribed pain meds. The bigger issue has been her getting off her food each time the pano flares up. Symptoms generally last from several days to several weeks each time, and tend to disappear once the long bones have ceased growing. Sheba has had it in the same leg three times to date, once in each hind leg, and so far her left front leg has been unaffected. She never seems to be much bothered by it; doesn't seem to be particularly painful for her, but it does cause a pronounced limp, and as I said above, she loses her appetite.

Sheba's Panosteitis History:

Flareup #1: right front leg... began on Jan 20/2018 (at 23 weeks old) and lasted for 7 days
Flareup #2: right hind leg.... began on Feb 03/2018 (at 25 weeks old) and lasted for 12 days
Flareup #3: right front leg... began on Apr 07/2018 (at 30 weeks old) and lasted for 22 days
Flareup #4: left hind leg...... began on Apr 27/2018 (at 37 weeks old) and lasted for 10 days
Flareup #5: right front leg... began on May 19/2018 (at 40 weeks old) and lasted for 10 days

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
Thanks for posting this. I guess Griff's progress is normal. You have never given her anything for it?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Update:
Are you adding black pepper to your turmeric/coconut oil mixture? And are you cooking it?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I guess Griff's progress is normal. You have never given her anything for it?
Nope, have never given her anything for it. We just try to keep her relaxed, and off her feet as much as possible. And as someone else said, pain meds can actually compound the issue, as they make them feel better, so they want to use the leg more, thus making it take longer to get over it.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Reactions: GandalfTheShepherd

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I give those supplements too, are we suppose to cook it? Glad to hear Griff is better.

I just started CBD oil for mine, mostly for the fearful pit as people have reported improvement in fear issues/anxiety.

·
Super Moderator
5,897 Posts
This is a great golden paste recipe. Golden Paste. Turmeric, freshly ground black pepper, and coconut oil. I've made batches and put them in little heart-shaped, 1/4 teaspoon silicone molds to cool. I've frozen what I couldn't use up in about a week in the fridge. I haven't made any in a while. I might do that again soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
YES, thanks you camperbc for your post. I know not all GSDs are the same, but we see here they sometimes have the same pain at different levels. I keep wondering when will it stop or if it will keep coming back and for how long. Sheba has shown 5 flareup's and that gives me a idea as to how many my boy may or may not have. So far Sheba's flareup are almost parallel to my boy. Just yesterday I notice the start of the fourth flareup. Time to try this Golden Paste recipe!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts