German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Deja is 5 years old and I haven't done much formal obedience with her besides a basic class and some agility in her first year. Whatever I did teach her over the years was done in games, on hikes, in daily life etc.
I took her to a Rally class for the very first time for both of us and she did awesome. All the skills she learned fitted together like a jigsaw puzzle in a very new surrounding. Since she is nicely obedient, also in close proximity to other dogs, I didn't have any problems with my shoulder injury. It was some getting used to for me though in figuring out the exercises but I think we will continue. She was very perky and engaged, something I had not expected. Flirting with a male Labrador (she is close to her heat), giving him a quick illegal lick over his nose when he passed her by but remaining in her down-stay ( I never told her that she couldn't extend her neck :) )
I was mostly impressed how she put her obedience skills to use. It showed me that daily life is the best teaching opportunity.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Congrats to lovely Deja for do so well at her first rally class ! It just goes to show that all the training you do with her on a daily basis really prepares her for enjoying new activities. That's also great you can find a class that you can do while your shoulder heals and is fun for both of you.

·
Super Moderator
4,743 Posts
yeah, it is so much fun to get out and do things together and set goals and chat with other dog people, etc. And come home with funny stories like sneaking a kiss.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Congratulations on joining a really fun dog sport. Do go to some trials to see what goes on. They don’t offer a critique like Schutzhund and IPO but you can get a feel of what it takes to participate successfully.

I have a very high drive Australia Shepherd. We went to classes for quite awhile. As well as practiced at home and various other locations.
The first year I went to 6 or 7 trials. In every one there were multiple perfect scores with elapsed time deterring the winning order. All that passed received ribbons.

Each trial had at least one trainer from the various training centers we go to. I thought they would be the instant winners however that was not the case several did not pass mostly due to handler errors. One trial had 6 perfect scores out of 18 entrants. All at least passed.

Being in competitive events most of my life I began working not only on perfection but speed. This involved knowing each sign and proper entry and exit on to the next. It can be a little confusing until you actually try them. I set several signs in various orders to practice correct handle moves as well as dog moves. It helps to have a dog that is really focused on you. Quick sits, stands, and positions from motion are important too. My Aussie can run really fast and we worked on change of speeds as you can lose much time here. We also worked on doing the signs fast. Quick sits, position changes, call to front, and finishes both left and right.

By the time I felt ready for the first trial we were able to score perfect nearly every time if I didn’t mess up. My Aussie was like a Mal in a smaller package. Our elapsed times were plenty good enough for wins.

Then I got injured in a fall at home that has has taken me out of this altogether.

Since you are just starting be aware that many classes are based on run through with individual help. Most of your training is up to you. Get a full set of signs so you can practice. Do practice at various locations. We found it helpful to go to ongoing obedience classes to practice moves. We did the class work too but added our own things. Healing and being around other dogs is important. Healing backwards and back steps and side steps are something you don’t see in classes but it’s fun to add your own.

Have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Congratulations on joining a really fun dog sport. Do go to some trials to see what goes on. They don’t offer a critique like Schutzhund and IPO but you can get a feel of what it takes to participate successfully.

I have a very high drive Australia Shepherd. We went to classes for quite awhile. As well as practiced at home and various other locations.
The first year I went to 6 or 7 trials. In every one there were multiple perfect scores with elapsed time deterring the winning order. All that passed received ribbons.

Each trial had at least one trainer from the various training centers we go to. I thought they would be the instant winners however that was not the case several did not pass mostly due to handler errors. One trial had 6 perfect scores out of 18 entrants. All at least passed.

Being in competitive events most of my life I began working not only on perfection but speed. This involved knowing each sign and proper entry and exit on to the next. It can be a little confusing until you actually try them. I set several signs in various orders to practice correct handle moves as well as dog moves. It helps to have a dog that is really focused on you. Quick sits, stands, and positions from motion are important too. My Aussie can run really fast and we worked on change of speeds as you can lose much time here. We also worked on doing the signs fast. Quick sits, position changes, call to front, and finishes both left and right.

By the time I felt ready for the first trial we were able to score perfect nearly every time if I didn’t mess up. My Aussie was like a Mal in a smaller package. Our elapsed times were plenty good enough for wins.

Then I got injured in a fall at home that has has taken me out of this altogether.

Since you are just starting be aware that many classes are based on run through with individual help. Most of your training is up to you. Get a full set of signs so you can practice. Do practice at various locations. We found it helpful to go to ongoing obedience classes to practice moves. We did the class work too but added our own things. Healing and being around other dogs is important. Healing backwards and back steps and side steps are something you don’t see in classes but it’s fun to add your own.

Have fun and good luck.
Sorry about being sideline with injuries and hope you have healed. I have not gotten a perfect score as Zoey likes to bump and make contact while heeling -1, -1, -1, :grin2: I enjoyed rally, but never took it too seriously, my wife does and some judges certainly do though. Rally is a good sport to get people interested in working with their dog and much of what we've learned has translated well into the outside world too, have fun with it.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Rally is fun, we did a lot of it. I feel a little Rally'ed out at the moment. Decided to do AKC OB with my white dog instead for now. Was pleasantly surprised how nice people were at our first AKC trial, I was sort of expecting a bunch of snobs but people were nice -- the ring steward helping me figure out when our run was going to be, and even just people being friendly and saying nice job who I don't know.

I might do some ASCA rally next year, I don't think I will try for an ASCA CD because I don't really have an opportunity to train for the stays and they do them the way AKC used to, still.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I love the fact that with all the time you and she spent together training and playing etc that at age five you have found a sport that seems to fit perfectly. Big congrats to both of you.

I got a chuckle about her "neck extension". Reminded me of go-go gadget. (Cartoon character) Lol.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had tried rally my instructor said they could get a title on max in our first lesson. It was just not for me.
Over the years I found that I enjoyed whatever my dogs enjoyed. I never thought I'd enjoy lure coursing until I released my Whippet for the first time at a training. Because of their passion for chasing and running I was hooked too.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I just did not like reading the signs that was not for me. I felt I was so focused on the sign thing. I can be a spaz. It why I did not like rally. It was complete me. I like obedience and nose work I did not think I would like herding as much as I did that sure was an experience I learned a lot from. Yes there passion can get you hooked. Max sure was my first dog that did bring me out of my comfort zone he was like a sponge and I needed to learn a lot more. i never did anything with my dogs just taking them out beaches trails parks etc. s

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
i never did anything with my dogs just taking them out beaches trails parks etc. s
Rally is only one hour a week, the rest we spend like you do. /forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png /forum/images/smilies/doggyplayball.gif
It’s grand when you find something you like with your dogs. Nose works was two to three hours a week / one class but much of it was watching other dogs. I have to say was my favorite and really help build a strong bond besides my off leash adventures which Include scent work with my nifty nose work scent tube carrying keychain!

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Deja is 5 years old and I haven't done much formal obedience with her besides a basic class and some agility in her first year. Whatever I did teach her over the years was done in games, on hikes, in daily life etc.
I took her to a Rally class for the very first time for both of us and she did awesome. All the skills she learned fitted together like a jigsaw puzzle in a very new surrounding. Since she is nicely obedient, also in close proximity to other dogs, I didn't have any problems with my shoulder injury. It was some getting used to for me though in figuring out the exercises but I think we will continue. She was very perky and engaged, something I had not expected. Flirting with a male Labrador (she is close to her heat), giving him a quick illegal lick over his nose when he passed her by but remaining in her down-stay ( I never told her that she couldn't extend her neck :) )
I was mostly impressed how she put her obedience skills to use. It showed me that daily life is the best teaching opportunity.
Well said!

Glad you are enjoying Deja and vice versa.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts