German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first German Shepherd and puppy in general. What kind of toys will he like? Or what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think it all depends on the puppy. But I would recommend bully sticks if you can get them at a fair price because they do get expensive. Also I would recommend some of the deer antlers or one of the other variation they have. Those will work great for chewing. I would NOT do any raw hide stuff. Could cause blockage in their system. As far as toys I like getting karma the non stuffed toys with the squeakers. Because if not they could possible just end up ripping the stuffing out. Another recommendation is take them to the pet store and hold a few toys in front of them they will let you know which they like best. Well I hope this helps good luck and congrats on the new puppy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
938 Posts
I always have a kong and a rope toy on hand. Agreed that rawhide should not be eaten. Beef trachea is another tasty treat but will disappear within hours. :D any time your pup has an edible chew, be sure to supervise them eating it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i bought my pup balls (big so he couldn't swallow them),
tug toys, rope (from pet store), variety of kongs, beef
femur bones (center cut).

·
Registered
766 Posts
I got softball sized tennis balls, three different varieties of Kongs, when his adult teeth came in I got him raw frozen beef knuckles. I also take him to the store and try out a few different toys by holding them up to him to see if he's even interested into them and if he is :) yay he just got a new toy.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
puppies typically have a much higher food drive than toy drive. get your dog some super delicious treats and bully stick or knuckle bone to satisfy those puppy teeth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I got him a kong yesterday he loves it, especially when I put a little bit of peanut butter in it. I will be getting him a rope today and will try to find some bully sticks today as well. Thank you all again I am kind of in the dark.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Enjoy your new family member. Be sure and post lots of Pictures!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Kongs, squirrel dudes, west paw design tux, raw beef knuckle bones, and he had one elephant from tuffie toys that was gifted to him. I liked having the kong and the squirrel dude so I could rotate their use. I would stuff one and freeze it, while having the other previously stuffed and frozen, -it would be ready to go in his crate for down time.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when i give my dog p-nut butter i use organic p-nut butter
(no junk in it or sugar). he only gets p-nut butter in a kong
or spread on a plate when it's nail trimming time. when you
buy bully sticks buy the ones that are made and sourced
in the USA. i don't give my dog anything that's made in China
(toys, food, treats, leash, bowls, toys, etc.).

Thanks everyone. I got him a kong yesterday he loves it, especially when I put a little bit of

>>>>> peanut butter in it.<<<<<

I will be getting him a rope today and will try to find some bully sticks today as well. Thank you all again I am kind of in the dark.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I bought a food dispensing ball (looks like a round space rock). I put about 1/4 cup of his food in it and he rolls it around with his nose to get the food out. Keeps him occupied for a little bit and gives me a little peace! He also has a Bad Cuz that he likes as well as a (now deflated) soccer ball that he plays with outside. His favorite toys right now (other than his soccer ball) are empty gatorade bottles with the label removed. He loves how they crackle.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Chew toys are great, I love Kongs. Put some kibble inside them and the pup is entertained for a while. But the best thing you can do for your puppy is to spend a lot of time socializing him. I was just reading the web pages of a BC and a spaniel breeder. Some things they do is to cobble together ramps and steps for the puppy. Put him on shiny floors and on carpets. The BC breeder even uses a sheet of crinkly plastic and teaches the pup to walk on it. Clip his nails, put him in a shallow tub of water, get him used to noises: vacuum cleaner, garage opener, washer, radios, bangs and thumps... And lots and lots of people including kids, people with floppy coats and hats, kids on bikes, kids running and yelling. When your pup is a year old, you will be so glad you spent the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts