German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said this is my first post. Our boy is around 2 1/2 now and barely a day has gone by without someone asking me what he's mixed with. I always say he's 100% GSD as that's what the breeder and his registration says. We don't really care either way, although we did pay for a papered GSD, but the family was curious enough to get a DNA test done and surprise he's 25% something else. I'm curious if anyone can pick it out before I spill the beans?
On a more serious note, how would you handle something like this? Should I contact the breeder? Is the 25% really a strike against him? Is the breeder being unethical? Are DNA tests even accurate? Hope that's not too much for a first post, here's a few pics of the guy.

Thanks!
Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
What registration does he have? If it's AKC, there is a serious issue. If it's CKC (continental kennel club) then all bets are off.

What company did you use for the testing? Yeah, I would contact the breeder. You paid for a purebred and per that test, that's not what you have. So now you can take it further to see if the dam and sire are DNA tested and registered thru AKC. Or have another DNA test run thru a different company to validate the first.

Looks like a long coat GSD to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What registration does he have? If it's AKC, there is a serious issue. If it's CKC (continental kennel club) then all bets are off.

What company did you use for the testing? Yeah, I would contact the breeder. You paid for a purebred and per that test, that's not what you have. So now you can take it further to see if the dam and sire are DNA tested and registered thru AKC. Or have another DNA test run thru a different company to validate the first.

Looks like a long coat GSD to me.
He's AKC registered and both parents are as well. Both are UKC champions if I remember correctly.
The test we used is from Wisdom Panel. I'd probably do a 2nd test before I approached the breeder.

·
Registered
205 Posts
We just had someone recently post on the forum with a similar situation. Their dog was a certain percentage something other than GSD. According to the OP, a littermate’s owner apparently took the breeder to court and got a full refund. Their post was asking about the reliability of DNA tests. I would link it if I knew how.

I would be very annoyed if the GSD I purchased was not a GSD because I purchased a GSD for GSD traits, including knowing what potential personality issues to prepare for. Even then, I probably wouldn’t take the breeder to court over it.

Gorgeous dog though. Great face. Thanks for including pics.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Looks like a long haired GSD to me too. I’m surprised not a day went by where people asked what he’s mixed with. He is a good looking GSD. I can’t even begin to guess what the 25% is. The body looks all GSD to me, face maybe something but only saying because I’m looking hard and you told us.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Collie, maybe some kind of husky-type dog? Looks like a long-coat GSD, but I'm just repeating the other posters. If your dog is registered with AKC or CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) I would contact the registrar and let them know the papers were faked/incorrect, as well as contact the breeder. I would, personally, ask for at least some of the money back. I wanted a purebred, I was told I was getting a purebred, I paid a purebred price, and my dog isn't purebred? That's a scam and I wouldn't stand for it. I believe the DNA tests are pretty accurate, but different people have different opinions on that. Here is the link to the other thread mentioned.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/bloodlines-pedigrees/758741-dna-testing-german-shepherds.html

·
Registered
773 Posts
Looks like a long haired GSD to me also.....I'm basically a skeptical non believer type... sooo that being said depending on how important it is to you I'd get a second DNA test done just to see if the results are "exactly" the same--I say that because I've known folks to have the same dog tested twice by different outfits and not get the same results....just sayin'

:welcome: to the forum

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
Shiloh
Malamute
Aussie
Great Pyrenees
Samoyed
Collie
Akita
Golden
...without the test results, purebred GSD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe it will help if I tell you what came back. He's 25% White Swiss Shepherd (Berger Blanc Suisse). It's the first time I've even heard of this breed and it sounds like they are very closely related to the German Shepherd?
Is that acceptable in the breed standard? I know his dad is white but he's registered as American Shepherd. The family tree states that one parent is 1/2 and 1/2, I assume it's him.

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
Yes, that helps. For all intent and purposes, you have a German Shepherd :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts