German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I need your help. I am aware that young pups will yelp during the first couple of nights. I bought my pup home yesterday and she yelped during the day. How long does the anxiety of leaving the litter usually last? What can I do to help her transition? She is 8 weeks old. Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi There!

A few days is common I believe, though I was fortunate our pup settled in and didn't give us any trouble. I left the TV on in the kitchen for him, and a light in a distant room, and made sure the room was warm enough for him, left him some water, and visited him twice during the night for toilet stops. We pretty much had the dream first few nights, he was toilet trained automatically too. Some people recommend an article of clothing that smells like you to be with him overnight, or a ticking alarm clock which simulates the heartbeat of a mother.

Best of luck with your pup, how about some photo's when you get a chance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I can certainly provide the article of clothing. The clock will have to wait until tomorrow. At first I was afraid I had chosen a nervous dog. However, she plays great with my children. It is only those moments that she is not engaged that she yelps. Anyway one night down, hopefully tonight will be better. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Keep our girl in a crate in my child's room, (as he made sure this pup was his :), ) this way she could also hear the bedtime story. The first night the both of them fell right to sleep
Also had a battery clock outside of her crate (loud ticker) to put her to sleep.

Five years old, now she follows me everywhere and sneaks in and jumps on the foot of my bed, maybe she is waiting for a bedtime story

Good luck and Good Night Sleep!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
When we get a new pup, we usually set the crate up next to the bed for the first few days so I can rest my hand on it or put my fingers thru the bars.
We tried having the crate in another room, and there was a lot more crying!

Also makes it easier to hear them stirring when they need a potty break (I sleep like a rock!)

Best of luck with your pup!
(have you posted any pics yet??? - Love the puppy pics!)

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I'm guessing she yelps when you put her in her crate?

Trying getting her good and tired before you crate her - wether it's for the night or anytime during the day.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. Last night was better. Sadie and my son played until they were both exhausted. Sadie slept until 4 in the morning and then it was time for a potty break. Should I be alarmed that she is so anxious? She is not afraid of anything (objects or people). She has explored every inch of the house, but sometimes when we are petting her she gets worked up and starts the whimpering thing (her tail is up and wagging so she is not afraid). She has a high prey drive (she will chase the soccer ball all day if given the chance). At what stage should she start calming down?

·
Registered
117 Posts
on your baby!

GSDs are mouthy by nature, some more than others. They squeek, whine, whimper, chatter, grumble, squeek, squeek, snarf, bark, chatter, squeek, you get the picture
. Riley conducts an entire conversation with me when he piles in my lap for love, and has plenty to say at other times also, especially when he is excited about something. Lady is quiter, squeeking only when she is really excited. Kayle squeeked, grumbled, and chattered from the moment she woke up until she went to sleep...almost nonstop.

At what stage should she start calming down? NEVER! They sometimes run, romp, and bark in their sleep also

I was alway nervous about putting a clock in the crate, as I was afraid my little chompers might tear up apart and eat it. A worn sweatshirt works beautifully though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome! I love this forum. I have read everything I can get my hands on but nothing replaces firsthand experience. You guys are wonderful.

·
Registered
203 Posts
schering, yup this place IS awesome, best resource I have come by bar none and it has saved my bacon a number of times. Its nice to know others have been through the same thing and the puppies are fine at the end.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today was wonderful! No whining as of yet. My nieces were over and Sadie was great. My wife said my son played with her all day. I hope he knows she is mine! Anyway thanks everyone. Be safe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A pair of your shoes or sneakers next to the crate so she can smell them is what I found worked. My puppy was fine the very first night when I left my sneakers by the crate. The second night I forgot to put them there and she whined and barked all night. Night 3 she was perfect again with the sneakers next to the crate. They probably pick up the foot scent the most because they are always by your feet. It was a dream for us with only one night of whining but it was our mistake by forgetting the sneakers. Good Luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts