German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, tonight was Rocky's first night of group class. It is a class for dogs who react around other dogs. I didn't realize a dog could bark for an hour and not lose his voice. The teacher was great. All of the dogs barked the entire time, except one, so, I'm still getting my hearing back....But I think it will be a good thing for Rocky to get exposed to other dogs under controlled circumstances. He tried his best, and slept all the way home.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Interesting class...how many dogs are in the class? What kind of training are you doing (are you focusing on improved reactions to other dogs, or obedience, or both?)? What kinds of methods does the instructor recommend? I teach obedience here in MI and am always interested in what others can accomplish.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Do tell. I am interested in what kind of training you are doing as well. I have been researching classes for this purpose in my area. I think that when I get back from vacation I am going to take a few private lessons with a trainer here who works with reactive dogs. She suggested we get together privately to go over some new foundation and management behaviors before going back into a class environment.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She really was patient with us. The class is called 'Calm and control' and it is for dogs who are niether calm nor controlled. Last night and the next class will focus on calming, soothing techniques to do with your dog. Also, she stressed not letting the dog bolt out of the door, making him wait untill after you've gone through a door, choosing a 'release' word for them. Pretty basic stuff. She taught us the areas on the dog that he likes to be massaged, his ears, his jaw area. That is all good stuff. Then, she said we will get in to interaction with other dogs. There are five dogs in the class. Two small dogs, and three large dogs. The only mean dog was one of the small dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts