German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I picked up my 8 week old carlo yesterday at the airport...soon as i got home i brought him outside and he went potty...brought him in and he played etc...wasnt to hungry or interested in treats...took a nap...drank some water..i brought him outside again and he pottied...brought him in and play and decided it was time for bed...put him in the crate...he threw a fit i last about 20 minutes then took him out and comforted him for a few minutes put him back in and he whined for about 1 then shut up haha finally some sleep...for about an hour and a half he was silent then the whining stopped..so i woke up took him out he pottied and we went back to bed...he whined in his crate for about 20 minutes then calmed down and slept for a few more hours...then aroun 330 4 he woke up...i took him out he poopied...brought him in and put him in the crate..and he threw a fit wouldnt stop i let it go for about a half hour then had to give in...as soon as he got in bed he was sound asleep...

how can i get him to like his crate!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Do you have it next to your bed? I kept mine next to me for 3-4 wks, I also put in a stuffed toy for them to snuggle against and a t shirt I had worn. I found that just speaking in a calming voice just like you would try to settle a human baby worked well. Carlo should settle down soon, he's been through a lot in the past few days!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have it about 10 feet away from my bed looking at the bed...maybe Ill try putting him in during the day to get him used to it...i just dont want to scare him and be in even worse shape then i started...

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I wouldnt take him out to comfort him when he whined. They learn very fast that's a great way to get out of the crate. When I got Wolfie, I did what Cesar Milan suggests in his book, and it worked like a charm. I put him in his crate, and he started to have a fit. I sat right next to his crate on the floor so he could see me, but I didn't look at him, touch him, or talk to him. He threw a fit for less than 5 minutes and then laid down. He was restless with a few little whimpers but since I was sitting there he settled in. When he fell asleep, I moved away. He was a little older than 8 weeks, so he slept right through the night without a peep. I had to do this for 3 nights in a row, and by the fourth night, he went in the crate with no problem. It's also a good idea to feed him in his crate to let him know it's a nice place to be.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about appetites on the first couple days...doesnt seem like he's eatin to much...all he does is sniff sniff sniff everywhere haha

·
Registered
664 Posts
Holy cow, that is a lot of waking up. I have always put puppies next to my bed...right next to it, and that seems to work very well. I have also turned my back on Layla when she was younger and would start bitching. It shut her right up.
Just make food available to him. It's got to be such a huge adjustment for him.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I know I'll get **** for this but our first 3 or 4 nights with Blitz went just like yours even with her crate right next to me and my hand in it, but she slept great in my bed and even nosed me in the face once a night to go out (never had an accident in my bed) Sooooo...... I let her sleep in bed with us for the first month, and once she was fully bonded with us and felt secure she moved down to her crate with out a fuss. When I moved her back down I also got her a wire crate instead of the plastic one she came with, she liked that much much better.

Not saying you should do this but just telling you what worked for us.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I know I'll get **** for this but our first 3 or 4 nights with Blitz went just like yours even with her crate right next to me and my hand in it, but she slept great in my bed and even nosed me in the face once a night to go out (never had an accident in my bed) Sooooo...... I let her sleep in bed with us for the first month, and once she was fully bonded with us and felt secure she moved down to her crate with out a fuss. When I moved her back down I also got her a wire crate instead of the plastic one she came with, she liked that much much better.

Not saying you should do this but just telling you what worked for us.

No **** from me. With our pup just six weeks when we got her, we started out in the bed at night. No playing (ok, not much :p ) and she nuzzled right in with us and slept like a charm. We are lucky in that our daughter works late so, we go to be around 11-12, she comes in about 3, takes the dog for a pee, brings her back and we're up at 7. No accidents, good sleep for us and she does the crate several times a day for short periods (or longer if sleeping) after a good walk.

I put a waterproof pad on my mattress, so if there is an accident at the worst it's wet sheets.

We've always had our dog sleep in our room and when she's a little older she'll transition to the floor and her own bed.

I do know a lot raise their dogs differently - guess that's what makes us all unique!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
as far as getting your pup to like the crate, tough love and time. When you put him in the crate and he starts throwing a fit, let him cry it out. By pulling him out when he cries, you're only reinforcing bad behavior. Not something you want to do, especially with a GSD! You'll get the hang of things. That pup will try to get away with murder using the cuteness factor.... DONT FALL FOR IT!!!! lol. You can handle it in time. and remember, we all make mistakes! luckily, its usually an easy fix when they're puppies when you know what you messed up on. I would also suggest start leash training and basic commands now. You'll be thankful for it later. good luck and where are the pictures?!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
throughout the day crate your dog
many times for 5 to 10 minutes. increase
the in crate time slowly. my dogs crate was in the livingroom.
overnight i took him out every 2 hours which was probably
over kill. the first night home my pup whined for a few hours.
the 2nd night home he whined for 1 hr or so and the 3rd night
he whined 15 minutes or so and that was it with
the whining when crated. i wouldn't put my puppy
in bed with us we he whined. i think by doing that
you're teaching your pup a bad habit. don't take me wrong,
my dog (3 yrs. old) always starts the night out in bed with us.
i didn't invite him to bed with untill he was older. he was no
longer usuing his crate when he started sleeping with us.

everytime i put my pup in his crate i use to say "go
to your crate". i woyuld pick my pup up and place him in front
of his crate and i would say it again "go to your crate" as i ushered
him in the crate. then oneday when my pup was older i said "go to your crate" and he got up and went to his crate. then i started
telling him to go to your crate from different parts of the house.

good luck with the pup.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
no *** from me either:) I have flunked night time crate training 101 many times with most all of my dogs that came in as puppies..put them in bed with me, and they shut right up:)

However, I do agree getting him used to a crate is a definite "must"..Mine all love their crates, tho they are not confined to them anymore .

You got some great suggestions above.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Whew, I feel so relieved reading posts from you more experienced owners who let your pups sleep in your beds. I have only had my 8-week old GSD for 7 days, so I am hardly an expert, but here is what has worked for me. I had two sleepless nights; one with him in his crate in my bedroom and one with him crated in the family room. I noticed that during waking hours, he would fall asleep on the floor right next to me when I was on the couch. So I decided to try and let him sleep on the floor next to my bed at night since my bedroom is puppy-proofed. Sure enough, every night since he has settled down immediately when I say "go night-night" and I even have to wake HIM up to go potty in the middle of the night. He has not fussed once or tried to get up or roam around the room. It may not last forever, but I will say it has been very peaceful the last 5 nights. As another member posted, we each do things our own way and we do what works for us and our own unique situations. I am also choosing this option because he has to be crated during my working hours starting at 9 weeks and I just can't fathom leaving him in the crate while I work AND while I sleep.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine is 11 weeks old and being 3 weeks older than yours this is the advice I can give.
I did not take my puppy to our bed. Actually, I do not recommend doing it at all. Rarely, but it did happen, they can fall on the floor, or you can by accident lay on them while they are in a certain position and hurt them. Just as important, he gets used to sleeping with you leaders of him and over time he will think of being in the same level as you. Remember, your room is your den and not his. His den is his crate.
In my understanding puppies to behave annoyingly in crates in the beginning up to several months, from what I read and heard and was told. Therefore, to expedite your process, in my humble opinion it is important, your dog goes in that crate, whether he whines or whatnot, is to be ignored completely. I used to stand up and walk by the crate on purpose. DON'T LOOK AT HIM. Straight back, shoulders back and walk away but in eyes sight for now, at least most of the times. When my dog is silent, I walk ignoring him still and out of the blue I praise him and give him a treat through the bars which he gladly accepts.

Does that mean my dog is behaving perfect in there ? Heck no. But it is starting to understand, that the cage is not a punishment nor is he afraid of it. I feed and water my dog in the cage. Leave the door open during the day. I put a towel in there, a play toy (Do not put one that makes noise, otherwise you might wake up with that annoying toy noise in the middle of the night). At night, I leave the water bowl in there, in the far back corner. Initialy he was a little wet, but he learns fast that the water bowl is not to be treated like a toy. At least mine did.

Odin keeps toddling around and some days are better than others as how he acts in the crate. I think and I hope that it is correct to say that, puppies do not progress linear in a crate. Day 1 2 and 3 could be not so dramatic, suddenly day 4 is horrible, day 5 even worse, day 6 totally normal behavior again.

With normal I mean, some whining and crying and acting in the cage like a toddler is ok as soon as he calms down and does not hyperventilate, berserk like mine did a few times, and if they do, they should calm down, if they do calm down in there, to me at least, that is progress. Ironically, right now, mine volunteeraly went in his cage and laid down in there !

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I not only have the crate right beside my bed, so I can place my hand in it to calm the puppy. But I've also heard that if you are currently using a smaller crate it's a great idea to put it on a chair or table beside your bed so you are at the same level and they can see you.

Our puppies have all be with/ontop/under their mom and littermates 100% of the time their entire life. Then BOOM, not only are they in a new home that's completely unfamiliar, they are isolated and alone in a crate. With a 'stupid' new (apparently deaf) human RIGHT OVER THERE who won't let them be together!

So of course they will 'yell'.

But if you can still crate but be there close to reassure. Make sure to put a nice treat/peanut butter kong in before you close the door. It helps me to go to bed a bit early, crate the puppy, then read for a bit so if the puppy is restless I'm still awake enough to not be annoyed. Just look up from my book, say 'hey puppy, who loves you?' maybe put my hand in the crate, and continue to read....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
last night wasnt to bad...I only took him out once to pee...and i notice that if i put my t shirt inside his crate he quites down a bit faster...Im thinkn about moving his crate downstairs at night so Its easier to give tough love. He slept this morning in his crate all the way to work no problem...I brought him out he pottied we walked around and played i did a little clicker training...still trying to get it to register in his brain...its a little harder then it seems!! but hes getting it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well we took a blended route with our puppy. We have a 9 week old that we brought him almost 2 weeks back. Right from day one, he was crated in the bonus room away from the bedrooms. That way he didn't wake up the kids or me ! For the first 5/6 nights, I would crate him and sit by his crate till he became quiet..then hand him a treat, turn the lights down, play soft music and then leave. I used to set an alarm to take him out twice in the night. After week 1, he loved his crate. Now, I just put him in the crate, still give him his treat and turn off the lights (well I still leave a small night light on). I still take him out once at 3:00 AM...but otherwise he doesn't whine too long in his crate and he is doing fine.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Crating your puppy is for it's own good and it is our job to do so. I feel it is the number 1 thing that shows you are the Alpha. With that said I have a couple suggestions that I have passed along to several new puppy owners and it has worked fantastic.
1. You probably have a large crate so he/she can grow into it. Close off 1/2 of your crate so your puppy wont go potty in one corner and sleep in the other. Crating a puppy teaches them to hold themselves over night. You will have to let your puppy out when you hear it wine but after a few weeks that should stop.
2. Wrap an old time water bottle "rubber" with hot /warm water in it and put that under your blanket.
3. Get an old time ticking clock and put that in with the water bottle. The ticking and warmth simulate it's litter mates and always seems to work.

Crate training is crucial and if you cave to the first job on your list that only means you will probably have your hands full raising your puppy.Tough love is needed in raising an intelligent animal and soon to be a dominating force in the world of dogs so 2-3 rocky nights sleep is not much to ask for IMO.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've had my 9 week old puppy for 2 weeks. I put the puppy on my ottoman and slept on the couch so he was the same height as me, laying my hand in the crate. Tried to tough love approach, but no one could sleep he freaked so bad and having my young daughter up all night was NOT an option. Now he's on the floor next to the bed, and when he whines I lay my hand on the side of the crate and say "lay down good boy", and he calms right down.
I know some say sleeping with a pup is bad, but my sister slept with her German Shepherd and it was a great dog and listened really well to her.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Last night went great! He took the treats in his crate...I shut the door...he made a couple small monkey noises and then was calm for about 20 mintues...started making monkey noises again for a couple minutes then went right back to bed...he woke up at about 4 am whining...i picked him up carried him out went pee picked him up brought him in put him in the crate closed the door...he whined for about 2 minutes then right back to sleep untill about 745 then up again..carried him right out went pee brought him in and put him back in his crate so i could get my self together for work...THAT didnt go over to well....he whined the entire time! I guess he'll get used to me being out of the room.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts