German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a problem.... I take Brutus (7 week old puppy) out every 45 minutes to an hour. He's pottyd outside a few times but twice now he's gone outside for 20 minutes and not pottyd, just whined and explored but then he comes inside and we put him in his kennel (once so we could eat and once to go to bed) and he freaks out and then goes potty in his crate!!! Why won't he go outside but 2 minutes later go in his crate???

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Cause puppies want to explore and by the time you bring them in they figure out hey I did need to pee,lol Keep Brutus leashed outside with you when you let him out until he potties then let him off leash to explore:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cause puppies want to explore and by the time you bring them in they figure out hey I did need to pee,lol Keep Brutus leashed outside with you when you let him out until he potties then let him off leash to explore:)
He's been leashed every time :(

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
he's in a new place. he's scared. He doesnt know why he's suddenly away from mom and siblings. I would suggest moving his crate where he can be with you for a few days to a couple of weeks until he gets comfortable. I would freak out too if i were that young and suddenly away from everything i'd ever known. Lots of patience. You may have to take him out and wait with him until he does go potty so you dont have worry about him pottying in the crate. BUT!! I make no promises that he wont potty in the crate at least a few times. You'll get there. You'll all adjust and get into a rhythm. Good luck!!! Remember, there may come a time that you will need to do tough love too. I'm not saying this early but eventually its a possibility.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Well he is brand new this whole potty thing takes some time and even more patience. Most pups take a long time to go, but as they get older and understand what go potty means your trips outside will get shorter and shorter:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well at least I know it's not something I'm doing wrong... Guess we'll have to extend the potty breaks and keep cleaning out the crate when there's accidents. I love him to much to be mad at him at all... I've got his kennel right next to my bed and I'm in here with him... I hate hearing him cry but I know it's for the best. Thanks for the support everyone!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Maya, female, was pretty easy to housetrain. She only peed in the house maybe 4 times total.

We only put her in the crate at night time. Any other time of the day during her first week here (she was 7 weeks) we kept a watchful eye on her and took her out, seemed like every 10 minutes.

We got her used to the idea of "anytime you need to go outside you stand by the sliding glass doors". She caught on to this over a couple of days and lasts to today. Even if she doesn't have to "go" she will still want to be in her backyard. She will wait by the glass doors whether she has to go or not just because she wants to go outside.

If we are in a hurry to leave the house for the day we will take her out, but we will tell her, "go potty". She knows exactly what this means because when she was a potty we would go outside in the backyard with her and command her to "go potty". When she finally did "go potty" we would praise her and give her a treat. They eventually learn what those words mean.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
ohhh the joys of puppies at nite:)) I don't miss those days:)

I agree with all of the above.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Every time I read a thread like this, I'm so thankful that the breeders have all the pups housebroken when you get one. I mean they're not perfect but for the most part they're potty trained. Uschi never had an accident and Stosh had just a couple, but it was my fault for not noticing he needed to go out. I'm sure Brutus will do just fine in a few days. He'll catch on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts