German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking Brutus for our first long car ride tomorrow. I am taking him on a 3 1/2 hour car ride. I have never taken him that far in my car before. I drive a mustang so I don't have a huge back seat or back of the car to put him in. I plan on putting him in the back with a bone but I am afraid he will be climbing all over and I can't have that when I am driving on the interstate. I plan on letting him out after we ride for about an hour so he can stretch and use the bathroom. We have a crate for him but I can't put it in my car because I have no room. I can't leave him home because my boyfriend works the night shift at the hospital and I can't leave him alone by himself for that long. I am starting to get worried. Any advice to make this trip easy for both of us?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a nine week old that does well with long car rides. Stopping frequently and a chew toy does well. If you guy is anything like mine he is going to want to be in your lap ;-). Before you start put him in the back and make sure he knows that is where he stays, throw treats back there, gently push him back when he tries climbing up.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I agree with the seat belt harness. We put Nala in one sine we got her at eight weeks old. She complained at first but is very use to it now at 15 weeks. A good walk and play time just before leaving really helps a lot. She usually goes right to sleep.. As mentioned give her a few toys or her favorite chew item too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts