German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My British lab seems to over lick or chew on the males penis. Skin is scabbed. Another pup she bit around umbilical but quickly healed. First litter. Should i remove him? 1 week old

·
Registered
888 Posts
My British lab seems to over lick or chew on the males penis. Skin is scabbed. Another pup she bit around umbilical but quickly healed. First litter. Should i remove him? 1 week old
You should contact someone familiar with labs, this is a GSD forum. The breeder you got your female form would be a good start.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Breed doesn't matter...first litter, anxious mom...it's a well known fact that if the female is going to eat her young, she starts with licking and chewing the umbilical cord area. Yes it DOES happen! And I would be very concerned about this female's behaviour.

I would keep a very close eye on this mom, and remove the pup with the scabbed penis, only returning him to the mom to nurse, under close supervision.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Agreed with Sunsilver, the breed doesn't matter. I would separate the mother from the pups unless during feeding

1 - 4 of 4 Posts