German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I have a litter coming any day now.. this is my first litter ever.. so Im both excited and nervous.. my question is... Do I keep mom in the whelping box all day & night? or can the puppies sleep over night without mom being in the box with them... curious because mom is use to sleeping in my room at foot of bed.. but im guessing when the pups arrive she should be in there with them correct?

Also I've heard stories of moms eating pups... I dont think she would do that but this is her first litter.. I dont want to wake up and notice one is missing from being eaten at night.. any advice would be greatly appreciated

She is at day 61... I haven't been walking her or anything.. should I still take her for walks or not at this point

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Hi,
She should be with the pups, yet able to at least get out of the box, for quite awhile. She will need to go outside to potty and move around, but she will want to be with her babies. No, the pups can not go all night without eating when young. For the first few days, especially, you may have a hard time getting her to even leave her babies.

She should be getting some exercise even this close to whelping. I wouldn't take her anywhere that she could be bothered by other dogs, but a nice quiet walk around the yard will be good for her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts