German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were playing and she jumped and I put my hand to ask her to not jump and I think she fell awkwardly.
She squealed for a dew seconds, picked her up and took her inside.
She was not putting much weight on her front left paw. Did some ice pack and then felt her whole leg at joints and other places no reaction.
Not putting weight full weight on paw so took her to vet.
X-ray for precaution - nothing came out of it. They gave an anti-inflammatory and said probably a soft tissue injury in the paw and should heal in a few days with no major running and rest.
Hopefully that's all it is and she will be fine in a few days.

Any else I should look out for or do to help her heal faster ?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I wouldn’t worry or do too much other than rest. I think it’s rare for injuries to lead to long term problems.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Trinity has stopped limping after couple of days and not been yelping when we touch the outer digit of the toe that was hurting her the most. We have started short walks today, plan is to gradually increase activity. Today is her last dose of anti-inflammatory, hopefully pain does not come back after that stops. Keeping fingers crossed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: First off leash backyard run today (a week after the incident) and the injury flared up again not as bad as before but it did. So back to just walks and no runs 🙁

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Mine had a broken distal toe from a fetch-jump injury. Several vets (including an orthopedist) missed it on the xray. Eventually it was spotted by a radiologist. It's apparently a REALLY hard place to see a fracture.

Have your vet send the x-ray of the paw (with the toe image) to a tele-radiology service -- it's not expensive for a second-opinion reading. Here's an example of a very reasonable vet school that offers this tele-radiology service:

Mine was in a soft cast for 3 weeks, and then a wrapping for 3 more.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine had a broken distal toe from a fetch-jump injury. Several vets (including an orthopedist) missed it on the xray. Eventually it was spotted by a radiologist. It's apparently a REALLY hard place to see a fracture.

Have your vet send the x-ray of the paw (with the toe image) to a tele-radiology service -- it's not expensive for a second-opinion reading. Here's an example of a very reasonable vet school that offers this tele-radiology service:

Mine was in a soft cast for 3 weeks, and then a wrapping for 3 more.
Thank you. Did not know that such services exist. When I called the vet yesterday she said it probably needs more time to heal and saw nothing in the x-ray. However if it does not heal or gets worse then she would want me to take her to ortho. Next week I am going for last of puppy shots, I will ask her if we can send the x-ray to one of such services.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts