German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I seem to adopt more of my dogs to people who are not so 'white picket fence' looking,but most importantly they do take excellent care of them.I have a little bit of ink myself,but I don't have nearly as much as some other people who have to come to adopt do. I wanted to know if anyone has second guessed a potential adopter because of their apperance? The guy who adopted my last Shepherd OSO, has green hair and about 90% of his body tattooed.He does however take excellent care of Oso and his other dog. I know of some other rescue people who have said that they claimed a dog wasn't available anymore because of certain types of people;looks wise. Of course they didn't tell the adopter that,but it was discussed later. I feel that everyone isn't always what you may think they are.I've had the adopters come to my door who have the 2.5 kids and the 'american dream' persona,but it turned out that they weren't good pet owners. And then I have the adopters that I just described earlier,who are tattooed and pierced to high heaven,but go out of their way to care for their animals.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
What a great topic! I don't know if you do reference checks, but from this forum I got a suggestion to do vet reference check when I fostered out a stray I found. It was a really good idea and gave me peace of mind. Unfortunately, I am not a first impression person; I don't trust my gut even though at times I wish I did. My take is that they need a sort of solid background and stable life. It's good to hear this type of story from you though. Bless :)

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a great topic! I don't know if you do reference checks, but from this forum I got a suggestion to do vet reference check when I fostered out a stray I found.

I definitely do reference checks on everyone,which is how I find out if these people are what they say they are. For me at least it's been the ones who have all the right answers,are usually as perfect as they try to make it seem. Sometimes it's something that can be worked out,but other times it's something major that can't be overlooked. I've had a girl come to my house a week ago and she was very shy and not so good with words. Her references checked out and she will probably be getting my current foster Shelby. I like to greet everyone with an open mind,but I know some people feel that they can just look at someone and 'know they won't be a good home':crazy:.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I encountered this when I did Pit Bull Rescue. Sometimes the potential adopters had very different lifestyles than I did, As I told a co-worker, "I may not want to hang out with them, but I think they'll be good dog owners.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I've had a girl come to my house a week ago and she was very shy and not so good with words. Her references checked out and she will probably be getting my current foster Shelby.
Sounds like me ;) Sometimes some people have way better intuition than others. Guess you are one of the lucky ones!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know a lot of "metal heads" who look very evil and menacing. Once you get to know them they are some of the coolest, most down to earth people you'll ever meet. They have nothing but love and honesty in their hearts and tend to make great pet owners. You have to talk to people for a while and know what questions to ask. Reading people instantly is a skill that can be learned.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You cant really judge a book by its cover. Although a lot of people do and it is really wrong and offending sometimes. This is one of the reasons that i went alone to pick up jacob. I have my eyebrow pierced but my hair covers it. I have a tattoo covering my whole back but again it isnt seen. Also my ears are gauged, meaning bigger holes than normal but mine arent to the extreme like some people. On the other hand my husband has 5 lip rings, 5 eyebrow rings, 1 piercing under his lip, and 5 holes in his ears. He also paints his nails black. He cant hide anything and gets judged everywhere he goes. He is a wonderful loving father to our three kids and loves our jacob just as much as i do. I understand that people make first impressions, cause i do as well sometimes but i do try not to. I completely understand how one can assume bad things about people like me and my husband but we are just as normal as anyone else. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know a couple that is almost completely covered in tattoos. I used to work in a preschool and took care of their son. They are wonderful parents. And wonderful owners. Their dogs have the best life. They also foster pit bulls and related breeds. The woman does so much stuff for the rescue that she volunteers for and I regularly see pictures of her with friends working together to help so many dogs!

I don't think appearance matters at all. I wouldn't hesitate at all to give those two my dog.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Great thread!
Unfortunately, so many people judge others by what they look like.
I also keep snakes, & many of the people that I know in the reptile world have several tat's, piercings & whatnot, but they are the most down-to-earth, caring people, that you will ever meet. I myself have a few tat's (with more to come in time), but you couldn't tell by looking at me.
On the same note, there's lots of "clean cut" people out there that are complete dirt bags, & are abusive to their kids & animals.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
That is an awesome attitude. My husband and I are older. (not old just getting there. :D) and a while back when we were looking at rescues we went to a petsmart event. There was a little female who we might have been interested in but the lady took one look at us and said oh that is too much dog for you. Seriously lady? I've raised many GSD's and my last two were from working lines. I have 2+ fenced acres of rabbits and other critters to keep a dog occupied and I know how to do it, but whatever. Their loss. We turned around and left. I notice that poor female is still listed on their website. In the meantime we adopted a wonderful border collie pup who is happy to keep us busy. :wub:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You cant really judge a book by its cover. Although a lot of people do and it is really wrong and offending sometimes. This is one of the reasons that i went alone to pick up jacob. I have my eyebrow pierced but my hair covers it. I have a tattoo covering my whole back but again it isnt seen. Also my ears are gauged, meaning bigger holes than normal but mine arent to the extreme like some people. On the other hand my husband has 5 lip rings, 5 eyebrow rings, 1 piercing under his lip, and 5 holes in his ears. He also paints his nails black. He cant hide anything and gets judged everywhere he goes. He is a wonderful loving father to our three kids and loves our jacob just as much as i do. I understand that people make first impressions, cause i do as well sometimes but i do try not to. I completely understand how one can assume bad things about people like me and my husband but we are just as normal as anyone else. :)
People would think that my 30 yr old son would look exactly like your husband because he is in several death metal bands :) But he is the only one that doesn't have tattoos or any piercings. His friends with are just as nice and respectful as he is.

I love to hear that people are able to not judge potential pet owners based on looks :) My son is the same person inside whether he has tat's and piercings or not :)

He has two turtles and his turtles are spoiled as much or more than some dogs I know :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I basically agree with the premise of the original post.

I would add that there are times when you can judge a person from your first impression, and at those times I have learned, its not a good idea to try to rationalize your gut feelings away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts