German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so excited, Brenna do SO great. She is very skittish and jumpy, especially in new situations. I thought maybe she'd show interest or at least sniff the sheep (lol) but wow she took to them like a pro! Or at least, she looked like a pro, but what do I know? The last sheep I was around was at a petting zoo as a kid.

I was pretty pleased with how she did. The trainer said she's had a lot of dogs gain confidence from herding. It's $50/session (ouch) but I may just have to go on the ramen noodles diet so she can do her thing more often. hehe I only wish I had pics/videos, but of course I was in there working with her, no time for playing around with a camera.

We used a rattler on a stick to keep her from getting too close, she caught on pretty quickly to it, the trainer even said that some dogs that show more confidence are unsure of themselves with the sheep and can't handle the rattler thing.

I guess I better get a 2nd job!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
How great, BrennasMom!
I hope you can stick with it, especially if Brenna really enjoys it.

Did you go to Keepstone?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did, its a bit of a hike out there but at least its a nice scenic drive.

·
Registered
710 Posts
That is so exciting, well done you two.
It is great to see when you and your dog click. Get someone to video the lesson, you can critique where you should of done something different and where Brenna was working and understanding her job. Have fun and watch out for bowling sheep.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
WAY TO GO! What "style" are you doing? How long is your session? How many times does she go in with the sheep? Gracie's having her 3rd lesson on Thursday. Her lessons on paper are half an hour but we're there about an hour or so, she works the sheep, comes out to rest, works again. I took video but cannot convert it to a format to put it on photo bucket.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Glad the lessons went well! I know what you meant about getting a second job just so the dogs can herd....sigh....It sure gets expensive!!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: JenM66WAY TO GO! What "style" are you doing? How long is your session? How many times does she go in with the sheep? Gracie's having her 3rd lesson on Thursday. Her lessons on paper are half an hour but we're there about an hour or so, she works the sheep, comes out to rest, works again. I took video but cannot convert it to a format to put it on photo bucket.
I'm not sure, I'm admittedly clueless when it comes to herding. I need to get some reading material!

The sessions are 30 mins long, for the first lesson she went in twice. First on a long training line, and second off leash and I used a rattler thing to keep her from getting too close to them.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
How many sheep are in the pen with you or is she working outside the penned sheep?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3 sheep, she was in the pen, but it was a fairly small pen.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Then you're most likely doing AKC. That's great. Many people will debate which style is better for GSDs. I say whatever they are enjoying is all that matters. Gracie is doing AKC - she's progressed to the bigger pen and is moving the sheep along. It's a great sport, isn't it?!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is, I loved seeing her do something that came so naturally to her...I can't wait to see how she progresses!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts