German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our Karma is growing up!!! sad face... however this faces us with a mild dilemma.. We like to go for walks with her, but since she started her first heat cycle, and we don't plan on breeding her, we are, at this time, at a standstill. We want to continue working on her leash training and socialization while out for walks, but we don't want to run the risk of having a male come up and try his luck.

We have a fenced in backyard and the other day we had a male come from a few houses down and try to close to the fence. Bubba (our male bully) had NO part in that. He's normally a calm lump of jelly, but he doesn't like male dogs coming to close to his ladies. We were able to scare off the random male, but i'm not a fan of a potential issue happening while being on a walk..

any suggestions? Want to keep karma exercised/trained/socialized during this period (no pun intended) of time.

·
Super Moderator
5,504 Posts
I’ve always played out in the yard with my girls when they’re in heat, instead of going for walks. In fact, Scarlet came in heat today, so we are both “social distancing”. Your girl will be fine for the next 3 weeks or so without getting out and about. If she starts driving you crazy, play some scent games with her, or puzzle games. Work her brain. Get a flirt pole and have her chase it around your yard.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we are blessed to have a fenced in back yard, and when our female bully was in heat, it wasn't much of an issue because she didn't, more like refused, to go on walks lol. With Karma we are making sure we do everything we can to make her 'our' perfect type of dog. Not to mention walking also gets us up off our butts too!

We have been playing with her in the backyard, working on fetching and bringing the ball/toy back. So she is getting some work in, just want to make sure we don't go backwards in our leash training. I know the ladies at TSC are going to be missing her on our weekly visits, or she is going to be missing the treats she gets from them

1 - 3 of 3 Posts