German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My girl is going into her 7th month and talking with the vet they want to wait to have her spade, which means of course I am going to have to go through at least a few of them with her. I have a lot of questions.

When did your GS go into heat the first time? How long does it last?
What should I expect as far as behavior? Pain?
What type of products do you use? Diapers, ect.

Thank you for the help. I am reading too but I wanted real life help too :)

Thanks
Jake

·
Registered
32,556 Posts
buy the panties meant for a heat. You can figure 1 week going in, 1-2 weeks in and 1 week out. I wouldn't bother to do any training. That first heat they tend to take their brain out and put it on a shelf. She might be a little clingy. Keep her contained and away from males. She might have to go out to pee more often. That's it. Not really a big deal unless you have a male in the house.

·
Registered
753 Posts
It’s all very individual. I don’t think they are in any pain. Currently I have 2 dogs. I barely notice that they are in heat. Both of them are very good at cleaning themselves and behave normally. Lexie had her 1st heat pretty late, at 14 months.
2 months after her heat Fozz usually starts nesting, bringing some squeaky toys with her. Might start digging outside in the yard so I have to watch for that.
It might be a totally different story with your pup. Obviously keep her away from any males. Leash walks if you don’t have a fenced yard. If the discharge is heavy you can use some reusable underwear type of cover with a pad inside. I have a rug covered with a waterproof blanket usually because they like to chew their raw bones in the den. Easy to wash and a great rug protection.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
My Deja was spayed at 6 years old because she had developed a mammary tumor. I had planned to leave her intact though if it weren't for this tumor. With the next female, she will be spayed after the second or third heat. The heats were not difficult to deal with. I rolled up my rugs and mopped up what she didn't clean herself. I often pointed my foot to the drops on the floor and she cleaned it (nobody but this forum knows this). The only drawback was that she tended to go into heat when we were on vacation with her. Her coat has changed in the fact that she sheds constantly. When intact, she only shedded twice a year in a major way just before the heat started. I tried diapers but she shredded them.

·
Super Moderator
32,675 Posts
In terms of mess we've had the whole gamut, from major bloodbath (Cassidy), where it looked like we'd murdered small animals all over our house (this was 20 years ago, we'd never heard of doggy diapers back then), to extremely clean (Cava). Dena and Halo were somewhere in between. I remember buying panties for Dena, but by the time I decided to try putting them on, she was past the worst of it and I ended up not bothering with them. Cava was spayed in October, she ended up having 4 heats and the only time I put diapers on her was in she was in the ring at flyball training. She cleaned up the drips around the house before we even saw them most of the time. I don't remember personality changes with her, but Cassidy was mopey and clingly, and Dena was ditzy, like Jax mentioned above. We didn't spay Sneaker until she was 8 years old. Her heats were no big deal either, she was really clean.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
buy the panties meant for a heat. You can figure 1 week going in, 1-2 weeks in and 1 week out. I wouldn't bother to do any training. That first heat they tend to take their brain out and put it on a shelf. She might be a little clingy. Keep her contained and away from males. She might have to go out to pee more often. That's it. Not really a big deal unless you have a male in the house.
Thank you very much :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In terms of mess we've had the whole gamut, from major bloodbath (Cassidy), where it looked like we'd murdered small animals all over our house (this was 20 years ago, we'd never heard of doggy diapers back then), to extremely clean (Cava). Dena and Halo were somewhere in between. I remember buying panties for Dena, but by the time I decided to try putting them on, she was past the worst of it and I ended up not bothering with them. Cava was spayed in October, she ended up having 4 heats and the only time I put diapers on her was in she was in the ring at flyball training. She cleaned up the drips around the house before we even saw them most of the time. I don't remember personality changes with her, but Cassidy was mopey and clingly, and Dena was ditzy, like Jax mentioned above. We didn't spay Sneaker until she was 8 years old. Her heats were no big deal either, she was really clean.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

1 - 8 of 8 Posts