German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that we would look into how working lines have changed, not just show lines. I used a pic of my moms dog so I apologize that it's not a very good one. Anywho, here the pics are:

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a better picture(not of her):

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Another comparison I think we should note, so, do you guys think we could've stretched out the early 1900s dogs out as much as this WL.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I think that of all the bloodlines, the working lines have changed the least. With some of today's dogs, you can put them right up against a photo from 1920 and it looks like the same dog! But the biggest difference I see is that many working line dogs have more substantial bone and heads than in the early days. I also notice more angulation.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes definitely, especially the bigger heads.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a great thread!!
Thanks! Another question would be, am I the only one who thinks that modern day breeders could cross some Malinois into their lines? I find Malinois to have a structure very similar to that of the first GSDs.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've also noticed that on the first dogs, the withers weren't the highest point on their toplines, has anyone else noticed that?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I remember watching the old black and white Rin-Tin-Tin movies with my Grandma...for me it was love at first sight. :) He was SUCH a beautiful dog!

Edward A. Bellande with Rin Tin Tin — 1925

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Thanks! Another question would be, am I the only one who thinks that modern day breeders could cross some Malinois into their lines? I find Malinois to have a structure very similar to that of the first GSDs.
You're certainly not the only one, but the point of a purebred dog is to keep their lines pure. Now that the breed is established, there's no opportunity to breed a mal and a GSD and register it as anything other than a PAL (just a mutt). Many mixes are bred for work, though.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
don't do it
" am I the only one who thinks that modern day breeders could cross some Malinois into their lines? I find Malinois to have a structure very similar to that of the first GSDs"

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I thought that we would look into how working lines have changed, not just show lines. I used a pic of my moms dog so I apologize that it's not a very good one. Anywho, here the pics are:
I did not know that you got that much snow in Texas!!!!

I have a dog who looks like ooooold GSDs that I have posted before next to the pic you posted but I can't find the thread. :( She's not a PB GSD. I think their form and structure are such that they were sturdier looking dogs in these historical photos. Found it - old thread (please no one restart it!) http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/105431-help-breeder.html#post1427391

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
That IS a lot of snow for Texas - so your mom has TWO dogs? But you are not allowed to do anything with either? That must be really though . . .

The Malinois has a very different structure than a GSD. A GSD is supposed to be longer than they are tall - Mals have shorter backs that gives them a more square. They have no or very little rear angulation. Their neck and the way their head sits on top of their neck is different. The shape of their head is different.

When people talk of mixing GSDs and Malinois, it is not to improve structure, but to get more drive for specific working venues.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Here's a couple pics of my past dogs, not in a stack but I don't have many online of them..

The first dog was born in 87 Jake out of old grafental lines

The second one was my AM line Kodi, the "mutant"..He was HUGE and not intended to be, 32" at the shoulders had a nose you could land a leer jet on He was born in 91

The third is Masi today, slovak/ddr/czech

The last is Dodge, @ 6months, DDR/Am showline cross, born in 96 ..All except Kodi have pretty much stayed consistent in structural type over the years..I'll have to find one of Sami , who was czech /am built like a malinois but had the brains of a gsd:)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
just wanted to add, good topic Heidi:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all your replies, I only moved here the beginning of summer so the snow is in WV, not TX lol. My mom only has the sable in this thread, which other dog were you thinking about? :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did not know that you got that much snow in Texas!!!!

I have a dog who looks like ooooold GSDs that I have posted before next to the pic you posted but I can't find the thread. :( She's not a PB GSD. I think their form and structure are such that they were sturdier looking dogs in these historical photos. Found it - old thread (please no one restart it!) http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/105431-help-breeder.html#post1427391
There is a huge resemblance!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The puppy you have in your avatar? I thought that was your mom's dog - that is a different dog than the one you posted.
It's the same dog as a puppy, sorry for the misunderstanding.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts