German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 12 good long years I had to put my boxer/Rottweiler mix down I lasted a whole month and a day without a dog and just couldn’t do it anymore so in the moment me and my roommate adopted two sisters that happened to be GSD hope to learn a lot here cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
Thor gsd
15 Posts
Congratulations! There adorable!
I've never owned two puppies at the same time as I personally think it would be a total nightmare in terms of training etc. I've always waited until one dog was at least over a year to two years before introducing another. So can't really advise on trianing two baby land sharks.
Gwyllgi is correct females siblings often have squabbles. You really need to do your home work reg the above and get all the tools you need to deal with the issues before they become a real problem.
And be prepared to become a human chew toy for at least 6months during teething as gsd puppies are little raptors and like to mouth.
I replace my hands with a toy or chew and if my boy (16month old working line gsd) persisted to go after my hands then I'd remove him from the room for a few mins then allow him back in. The second he went after my hands or legs for that matter I repeated this. He soon got the message if I mouth mum I get removed and ignored.
Gsd are very intelligent and high energy and want to please there owners. Therefore if you don't exercise there minds as well as there bodies they quickly become frustrated and destructive and just darn right menacing - doing anything they can to get your attention even if it's negative attention.
There are lots of info and product you can by on the net how to keep your puppies minds active.
My boys favourite game is seek and find. I make em sit and wait then I hid his ball somewhere in the house or when on a walk on the woods out of sight and goes find it.
Ive also trained him to use voca switches - he will press a switch to let me know what he wants i.e. food, drink, toliet.
He also helps empty washing machine, load drier, pick up my grandsons toys and drop them in his toy box and this is just a taste of the things I do throughout the day just to keep his mind active.
This is on top of three or more walks a day on and off lead. Amounting to over three hours.
Then of course there is the never ending hair they shed therefore regular brushing is a must!
I don't mean to sound negative but just to make you aware of the amount of work that goes into having a gsd.
If you can give them enough physical and mental exercise. And as much socialization as possible with dogs but people and expose them to many different places and situations when there young then you will have the most amazing loyal well behaved companions.
There's no other breed imho that comes close to the love and loyalty you get from a gsd.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had one previous GSD and a 14 week puppy right now. All of the comments are spot on. However, the reward is greater too. I've never had a breed as easy to live with in adulthood. Their intuition makes it seem like they understand everything I say. Put the hard work in and you will be rewarded. I've got to remind myself of that, because it is harder for us this go round. I tell my wife that the stubbornness and tenacity is a sign of how great she will be. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks for the same sex aggression tip I had no idea and will monitor closely. I have already experienced the mouth on these dogs lol I don’t thing I remember my last dogs teeth being so sharp, and am already working on that, replacing my hand for a chew toy, when that does not work and the dog keeps trying to bite my hand I let a little yell and they seem to get it and stop bitting and lick my hand.

·
Registered
Thor gsd
15 Posts
😂 yeh there relentless aren't they and razor sharp! That's great there stopping when you make a noise. I hope this continues to work for you. However just be aware that sometimes making little yells can actually encourage the behaviour. This I know from experience. Good luck with them. Oh and what are there names?

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Yup, research litter mate syndrome and same sex aggression. You've unwittingly done a very serious thing; take it seriously. Read everything you can about it and be prepared PRIOR. Train pups separately for months.....don't let them be the center of the other's world, you and your roommate have to be.

Cute pups, wish you the best of luck

·
Registered
Thor gsd
15 Posts
Funny you should ask I weighed him today at pet supplies shop he weights 36.5kg which is around 79lb I think? He was only 3.6kg when I brought him home and tiny. He was from a litter of 11 and had giardia and worms. I bought him from an experienced licensed breeder of over 40yrs
He had all his vet records and my own vet checked them out and were legitimate. Unfortunately the wormer breeders vet used wasn't doing the job.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts