German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! About a year ago my GSD went to sleep guarding the house on his bed as he did for just over 10 years. He was 14 years old and a rescue. I was simply amazed that someone would give up a dog like Ranger and had suspicion that the previous owner was lazy or stupid. Ranger had a great drive that I believe was mistaken for hyperactivity. If you gave him a job and took him for hikes and rides in the truck, he was an awesome dog. At around 6, he mellowed out and was the most gentile dog I have owned. He protected my property, chased off bears and was great emotional support.

Gustav was another good rescue that I found a home for after a few years. He did not get along with other dogs and was a one person kind of dog. I found him a home right next to the boarder with a man who lived alone and has a job where Gustav can work with him. He can find anything you want him to with his nose! :)

So, another rescue of ours got cancer. Maggie was and Airedale. She was a loving dog that saved my family from bears twice in her life. She thought she was a lap dog from the previous owners and we didn't mind too much.

Once Maggie was put down, our home felt odd without a dog in the house. Everything happens for a reason and we were able to find a nice GSD at an awesome price. We can't get papers yet and don't care for them either. His dad is a working dog and the bitch dug into his kennel. Freki was an accident that was against the contract or whatever they do with leased working dogs. Anyway, We got him and couldn't be happier!

I had two puppies growing up. Max was a poodle and Dexter was a Doberman. The doberman was fun to raise and train. So, I hope that I will do a good job with this GSD puppy.

The one thing that is concerning me that I haven't dealt with yet is the puppy ear thing. He is two months old now and I have seen his right ear fully erect. I hope that it will pop up and will freak out until it does. I even have the tear mender fabric glue at the ready so I can help them along at 4.5 months if nothing happens. He is teething and I guess that's how things go. When he is chasing a dragging toy, his ears will pop up but most the time he has the left side up and the right side is down. The base is strong but the top part flops.

If any of you have suggestions or moral help for the ear thing, please let me know! I appreciate it!

He was born on May 31st and is potty trained, can sit stay and lay down. He loves his kennel that we keep inside and use in the car. We keep the door open and he likes to sleep and chew on stuff in there. He is walking on the leash well and can halt but, we are working on distractions as he tends to walk into the path of my feet at times.

I look forward to the info and friends I may obtain from this website.

Thanks and have a great day!

N

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
Don't worry about his ears yet!!!!! they will yo-yo up and down until teething is completed....teething starts around 4 months and doesn't finish until after 6 months...if the ears have come up before teething starts, they will come up again afterwards.

He is a cute pup and I am sure you will have fun with him....

Sorry for your loss of Ranger.....they never leave your heart.....

Lee

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't worry about his ears yet!!!!! they will yo-yo up and down until teething is completed....teething starts around 4 months and doesn't finish until after 6 months...if the ears have come up before teething starts, they will come up again afterwards.

He is a cute pup and I am sure you will have fun with him....

Sorry for your loss of Ranger.....they never leave your heart.....

Lee
Thanks for your sympathy and insight. I appreciate the moral support! :)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome to you and to your cute little guy. Wolfstraum gave you good info on the ears standing as they can go up and down until teething is over.:greet:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to you and to your cute little guy. Wolfstraum gave you good info on the ears standing as they can go up and down until teething is over.:greet:
Thanks! That's a great GSD you have shown in your profile photo! I have carefully massaged his ear and made squeak noises and his right ear will become erect and stay there. Once the training is done, he gets lazy and it comes down again. I drag a squirrel on a rope (toy) in the grass and when he concentrates on it, his ear stands up nice.

He looks so good with them both up. Both parents had radio towers for ears and I guess they come up later when they are so tall. It's just hard to let them do their thing. I have the bottle of tear mender glue at the ready for 4.5 months if they don't want to stand up.

I went to the vet the other day and they said he was healthy and properly fed. They loved how he acted in the shop. He was at my side on the leash and sat and stayed where I told him to. My two kids were just as good and we all got treats when we left! The vet kinda freaked me out about the ear thing but Im not sure she knows the GSD so well. Not many around here I guess. She said it may come up...... [email protected]!

When you have a kid, the first week you are up every second checking the breathing, stools, diapers and feeding. With a GSD puppy, you are nervous for 5 months, watching the ears!

Guess it's all a test!

Have a good one!

N

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome to the forum and what a cute little puppy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts