German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, love the forum, so much great info here. I picked up a six week old GSD a few days ago and he's doing great. Already learning to be calm for attention and not scream in his crate. He's so young you have to be right on top of him for house breaking but I think it's going well. He almost never leaves my heels, unless he's in the crate, it's very cute.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
He is so cute. Welcome.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cute pup. Should be with it’s litter mates for another two weeks though.
agreed. That's why I made a very careful incision in my wife's abdomen and hollowed her out a little bit so he can sleep in there until he's a good 8 to 10 weeks old. He seems to be much more comfortable up in her womb than in his crate.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol. I have a 10 week old pup now so we are just starting to be able to sleep through the night.
Yea it's rough at first. Murph is getting better so fast it blows my mind. I'm feeding him mostly as reward one piece of meat at a time, so we're working on crate games a lot. He made it until 6am this morning, so 6 hours without screaming. He's already sitting calmly in front of me and isn't jumping up as much. Just ignoring the non destructive behaviors I don't want and rewarding the positives. I'm really impressed so far. He's brave too, showing no fear on our little walk adventures. He even dove into a muddy pond yesterday after my old boxer mix went first. And I've never had pup take to the leash so quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
856 Posts
He's adorable! Congrats on your new addition. Was there a specific reason to get him so young?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I would be extremely careful about taking a 6 week old puppy out and about like that. Your yard is likely safe, but out to a muddy pond? Have you researched your area's risk for parvo and other diseases? What about lepto?

Otherwise, he is adorable and sounds like he is doing well.

Reactions: Mei

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would be extremely careful about taking a 6 week old puppy out and about like that. Your yard is likely safe, but out to a muddy pond? Have you researched your area's risk for parvo and other diseases? What about lepto?

Otherwise, he is adorable and sounds like he is doing well.
Risk vs. Reward. In all my years I've never had a young pup get sick that I've exposed to the elements. Although I never imagined he would've been so willing to jump down three feet into the water and he beat me to the punch, we won't be going back by there. I had to strip down and go in to get him out... Nasty. Otherwise, I'm not concerned about taking him on walks through the neighborhood and into the fields. The main threat here is rattlesnakes, but I lead the way so I get bit first if it comes to that.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
127 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
1 - 20 of 135 Posts