German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered that there is an agility trial in Indianapolis in February. Question is- do you guys recommend going to a competition as a spectator first to get a feel for things, or do you see a problem with jumping right in as a participant? I really don't know much at all (admittedly- nothing) about the sport of agility.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Agility is a lot more complicated than it looks. It takes awhile (think one year) to be able to do this even at the novice level so I don't think you have a choice. Go, watch, talk to the folks, maybe ask where they train, and have fun would be my advice.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Humph. I guess I will go dog-less and check it out. I figured it must be similar to autocross events where you just show up and drive your car around the cones. Sure- you suck at first, but you get better as you do it. Not too many rules to be concerned about.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Agility is a lot more complicated than it looks. It takes awhile (think one year) to be able to do this even at the novice level so I don't think you have a choice. Go, watch, talk to the folks, maybe ask where they train, and have fun would be my advice.
I agree. Find a good trainer/classes so you start off right and don't have to retrain anything. And your instructor will show you the ropes and know when you are ready to trial.

Go and have fun watching!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Have you trained your dog for agility? It definitely takes a lot of practice before you are ready to trial. Attending it to watch will probably b very enjoyable though!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Yes, my first question is have you taken an agility class before? If so, and you've passed, entering the trial would be no problem.

If you haven't, you shouldn't enter. You'll look like a fool and likely discourage your dog from trying again or teach him things the wrong way.

It's a fun sport. I volunteer working at local agility trials often and it's not too hard once you go a few times and understand what's going on. The training for it is a lot harder though.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Humph. I guess I will go dog-less and check it out. I figured it must be similar to autocross events where you just show up and drive your car around the cones. Sure- you suck at first, but you get better as you do it. Not too many rules to be concerned about.
LOL, my husband did autocross years ago...trust me...it's not the same.;)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL, my husband did autocross years ago...trust me...it's not the same.;)
I was hoping someone would find that analogy funny. :D

Yeah, Pimg is in an agility class right now, but we are only two sessions in. Not much to speak of. Sounds like I would definitely be pretty foolish to enter her so early. I'll hold out and just go as a spectator.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Yeah, Pimg is in an agility class right now, but we are only two sessions in. Not much to speak of. Sounds like I would definitely be pretty foolish to enter her so early. I'll hold out and just go as a spectator.
If you know anyone entered (your instructor? classmates with another dog?) be good to find them at the trial so they can explain things. Or contacting the volunteer coordinator and volunteering is even better!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
When I entered my first (CPE) show, we had been training for about a year. But even then, I still had a lot of questions to ask people. Luckily, CPE trials are very friendly.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
^^ Volunteering there is great. I have volunteered at a few trials and it helps to understand SO much stuff. If I had the skills I could nervous-less go into a trial right now with enough confidence that I understand the rules, etc.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Why go dogless? It's actually a good time to expose your dog to events. People are nervous, dogs are nervous. I take my dog to shows/events when she isn't entered for that reason.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why go dogless? It's actually a good time to expose your dog to events. People are nervous, dogs are nervous. I take my dog to shows/events when she isn't entered for that reason.
If spectator dogs are allowed, then I would absolutely bring her. I take her everywhere I can get away with it. Recently, that's been Lowes, Walmart, Target, and Meijer. But that's a whole other topic in itself... ;)

Yeah- I'll be taking her if it's allowed. No question there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts