German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we made it nearly 8 months without any emergency vet visits, but alas, tonight our streak came to an end.

It was business as usual, diarrhea and vomited breakfast. Wouldn't normally have taken her in (we have a whole system in place when her delicate digestive system decides it's unhappy), but then she started vomiting large quantities of clear mucus. So, off to the e vet we went since she decided to start vomiting mucus exactly twenty minutes after our regular vet closed lol.

They didn't find anything concerning, so sub q fluids and anti nausea injection and then home to monitor. She was feeling extra vocal at the vet- I think she scared one of the techs when she barked at them as they came to get us. I treated it like any other meet and greet, corrected for barking and made her sit nicely before asking the tech if she could sniff her and say hi.

They let me stay with her the whole time and hold her for the injections, which was very helpful. They commented on how well I work with her and seem to know what she needs to feel comfortable and confident, which was a nice unexpected compliment.

This dog... *sigh* she's going to be the death of me. Or at least of my bank account! But I'd much rather take her in and have it be nothing than chance waiting when it's a new symptom like that.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Since I have a half sibling who has IBD and spent the better part of the first 18 months of his life being sicker than any dog should be, I’m going to tell you what works for him. He only eats cooling or neutral proteins at night (beef, rabbit, duck, fish). If we do not stick to that, he pukes. He can have warming or hot proteins in the morning, as long as it isn’t pheasant or turkey as those cause diarrhea as well. He eats Stella & Chewy frozen raw patties. It stopped his diarrhea. It’s literally the only food he does well on. Kibble makes him explode. Homemade raw seems to be too bacteria laden for his system, so HPP commercial raw it is. He gets Mercola probiotics every morning. If he ever experiences stomach upset now, I add Perfect Form from The Honest Kitchen.

I’m sorry you are dealing with this. I know commercial raw is expensive, but I’m actually saving money now because he’s not at the vet all the time. Might be worth a try?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I have a half sibling who has IBD and spent the better part of the first 18 months of his life being sicker than any dog should be, I’m going to tell you what works for him. He only eats cooling or neutral proteins at night (beef, rabbit, duck, fish). If we do not stick to that, he pukes. He can have warming or hot proteins in the morning, as long as it isn’t pheasant or turkey as those cause diarrhea as well. He eats Stella & Chewy frozen raw patties. It stopped his diarrhea. It’s literally the only food he does well on. Kibble makes him explode. Homemade raw seems to be too bacteria laden for his system, so HPP commercial raw it is. He gets Mercola probiotics every morning. If he ever experiences stomach upset now, I add Perfect Form from The Honest Kitchen.

I’m sorry you are dealing with this. I know commercial raw is expensive, but I’m actually saving money now because he’s not at the vet all the time. Might be worth a try?
I've been looking at my budget to see if I can swing commercial raw (don't have the freezer space for diy raw to be an option right now even if it would work for her). She does well on her current kibble (instinct) maybe 26 days out of the month, but those other 4 days or so are usually no fun for any of us.

I need to get some of those probiotics and perfect form. We have firm up on hand and some lower quality probiotics, but I just hate seeing her not feeling well. She always looks so pathetic and ashamed, you can just tell she's miserable :(

Thank you for sharing- it's so helpful to hear from you about what's worked for your boy given the shared sire. I appreciate you commenting!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I wonder if switching to half raw would help her. It wasn’t an option for my boy, as kibble makes him really sick, but if she tolerates it maybe it will prevent those four really bad days. I feel for you. It’s hard to see them so sick. And it’s extremely stressful to worry about when the next incident will be. I hope you are able to find something that works for her, and you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts