German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello again everyone!! Tomorrow is the day!! Tomorrow morning at 9 am we are picking up our puppy!! Now it's been 12 years since I have had a puppy. We've adopted an adult dog since then but, it's been awhile since we spent our first couple of days and nights with a puppy. I'd like to think we are prepared for welcoming him into our family but, I'd still like any tips any of you have. I'd like to think that there is always someone out there with different insight and experiences.

I'm more than prepared for the potty schedule and the chance of sleeping near him, among other things, to help him adjust. We are going to be crate training him. I'll probably put a shirt of mine in there with him when he sleeps too. Obviously there are other things that will end up happening, but I'd love to see your suggestions!

Also, we do have a Yorkie at home too, so advice on that is appreciated.

I've attached a picture of him, he's such a cutie!! His name will be Obi :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
He is a adorable! Congratulations. It's so exciting bringing a new puppy home. Do you have any pets at home currently that you will be introducing him to?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is a adorable! Congratulations. It's so exciting bringing a new puppy home. Do you have any pets at home currently that you will be introducing him to?
Thank you! Yes, we have a Yorkie :) I'll edit that into the post too!! He's been around dogs his whole life. We had a GSD mix that passed March 14. It'll be a change for our little Yorkie again. We know we are going to need to have boundaries with the puppy and him so I'd love advice on that too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Obi :) Welcome to the world!

Just a suggestion that I didn't think would really work at first, but we used potty bells for Serena. Within 1 week or less was fully potty trained with NO accidents in the house by 9 weeks old - it was wonderful. Every 2-3 hours we rang the bell and said "potty" to go outside. She got the hang of it so quick and I'll never forget the first time I heard her ring the bell by herself (so proud).

Also I bought a HUGE comfy dog bed that she would grow into and ended up sleeping in that next to her cage in shifts (switching with my husband) throughout the night.

When we brought home Serena with our recently passed GSD, I had a difficult time at first not realizing that I need sperate time with them each to establish that I was the leader not my older GSD. My puppy started following everything that my older did... and while she did help me so much and probably was the best teacher - I had to work to regain my status by 4 months old haha.

Have fun & may the force be with you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Obi :) Welcome to the world!

Just a suggestion that I didn't think would really work at first, but we used potty bells for Serena. Within 1 week or less was fully potty trained with NO accidents in the house by 9 weeks old - it was wonderful. Every 2-3 hours we rang the bell and said "potty" to go outside. She got the hang of it so quick and I'll never forget the first time I heard her ring the bell by herself (so proud).

Also I bought a HUGE comfy dog bed that she would grow into and ended up sleeping in that next to her cage in shifts (switching with my husband) throughout the night.

When we brought home Serena with our recently passed GSD, I had a difficult time at first not realizing that I need sperate time with them each to establish that I was the leader not my older GSD. My puppy started following everything that my older did... and while she did help me so much and probably was the best teacher - I had to work to regain my status by 4 months old haha.

Have fun & may the force be with you.
I'm actually so happy you mentioned bell training. Years ago I saw a Youtuber who trained their dogs to do that and I thought it was so cool. It was even funnier when their dogs did it just because they wanted outside. That would be an awesome way to teach him. I don't have a bell here, maybe I can stop somewhere like AC Moore and get one this weekend. Our Yorkie in no way acts like an alpha. He kind of acts more like we are just his bffs that can tell him what to do. We will definitely make sure Obi knows his boundaries :)

May the Force be with you as well :D

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They sell them online for very reasonable prices

Dog Doorbells Premium Quality Training Potty Great Dog Bells Adjustable Door Bell Dog Bells for Potty Training Your Puppy the Easy Way - Premium Quality - 7 Extra Large Loud 1.4 DoorBells by papikin https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KG9WMWI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kbFgBbC04CJFM

Just ordered it!! Any tips on the training process with it? Like did you keep it on the door and ring it when your pup was going out and say "potty" or did you eventually put it on the door? etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts