German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, my puppy is 5 months old, he was not proper socialized or taken out for walks, we were trying to avoid virus.

Well, this is our little fella today at his first class. He behaved better than we expected but received some corrections.

The trainer is from the mind that you have to make strong corrections, yet he is the only one that does group classes and has really good reviews online. He said our puppy has good nerves and character, he just needs to work on environments with people and other dogs to get used to others presences. This a good thing to hear, because he started barking to everyone outside of the household at 4 months, so we were getting worried he did not like people anymore or was developing aggressive behaviors. But turns out, it comes down to nice socialization plus us actually knowing how to correct some things.

We will also have another trainer within these days that will come to a couple of sessions at our house.

123.jpg

i.jpg

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Awesome you're working with him, and learning how to correct bad behaviors! Many people choose to believe it's just the way the dog is, then, instead of teaching the dog better behavior, they spend their whole time managing an untrained dog! Good for you guys!

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Enjoy! Nice work they have to be taught to behave - just like toddlers -sometimes it’s not all fun but sure is something to see when they are able to connect it all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome you're working with him, and learning how to correct bad behaviors! Many people choose to believe it's just the way the dog is, then, instead of teaching the dog better behavior, they spend their whole time managing an untrained dog! Good for you guys!

Thanks

Yes, we were still afraid of taking him out. But it was about time, he would have grown into a scared dog with no social skills at all, and we did not want that....

He is working on ignoring other dogs, at this class the dogs do not play or anything like that, they learn to obey and behave around other dogs and other people.... The class is probably more for us the "owners" than for the dogs haha, we are the ones making mistakes with them....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Enjoy! Nice work they have to be taught to behave - just like toddlers -sometimes it’s not all fun but sure is something to see when they are able to connect it all.
Thanks.

Yes.... We were hesitating on taking him because of diseases and viruses. But it was about time, like a little kid he needs to learn things now, better now than when he gets to be 80 lb or something.

Let's hope he does good today as well.
We signed him up for a month in the basic group, most dogs are slightly older than him at this point, except for one that is also 5 months, and there is an 8 month old GSD who looks like his older sibling (share the same behaviors and black spot in the tongue, but no common relatives up to their grandparents).... Funny thing, our puppy was only reactive to him and to a dog that has some issues (but just one time with each of them), other than that he was fine with the rest of them.

I have OCD so, the idea of a virus keeps coming to my mind, but I am trying to be positive. This experience is more of a learning experience for my sister and I than for the puppy I think haha....

·
Registered
10,455 Posts
Is the other trainer from the same dog school? if not, you may get conflicting advice. Go with your gut on what works for you and the dog. He looks good sitting next to you in that last picture.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the other trainer from the same dog school? if not, you may get conflicting advice. Go with your gut on what works for you and the dog. He looks good sitting next to you in that last picture.

No, he is a different school trainer (only goes to houses, he does not have a place like the training school from the group classes). Should we have a trainer from the same place always? I had not thought of the conflict that might exist there, but I guess there might be some.

That is my sister in the picture. But he did behave quite nice, even with the other exercises. He got really tired at the end, but in a good way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts