German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Tanner and I had our first Control Unleashed class for reactive dogs this afternoon and we have lived to tell the tale.
I was so happy to hear the instructor talk about how many of us in the class have been confused by, scared of and embarrassed by the behavior our dogs have shown in the past.
I really like how the class is structured, with each dog/owner pair getting a chance to work with the other dogs put up, so the distractions and reactivity was minimized. And nobody gave me dirty looks when Tanner started to whine and cry in his crate.
I was horrified when Tanner refused to respond to his own name, so a lot of our homework is just having him turn his head in my direction when I call his name. I know he is bonded to me, but you couldn't tell it when we got past the relaxation on the mat exercise.
Have I honestly gotten to the point where I don't even use his name too much? I was thinking about it on the drive home and I probably use that kissey noise to get his attention a lot more often than I use his name.
At one point I wanted to just hand the leash over and tell the instructor to take Tanner and let him live as her dog.
I am really pleased that I decided to contact the instructor and talk about signing up for this class. It is going to be good for me and Tanner both. I ordered the book by Leslie McDevitt and it should be here any day now. And we have our second class next Saturday.
Sheilah

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
OHHH YES YES YES!!! Tanner will do superbply in this sort of class, as will you both! I just know that this is exactly the type of class to help you relax, help Tanner settle and calm and begin to focus. I would bet that you actually start to see a new dog in a few weeks.

I wish so deeply for such a class for Grimm and I, but we are too isolated. Congratulations to you and Tanner. You deserve this for yourselves! Good call of you finding this, too!
I am so very happy for you and Tanner!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been reading as much as I can about the whole theory behind Control Unleashed. I ordered the book last week and am still waiting for it to get here.
Tanner was pooped when we got home. He crashed in his crate and only came to long enough to eat and go out to potty. It was a different kind of class, that was for sure.
Sheilah

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Yeah Sheilah and Tanner!!!

The DVD will be out soon too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts