German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's this bitch that has been for sale since around Thanksgiving. She is drop...dead...freaking...gorgeous with a pedigree to DIE for. 16 months old, OFA Prelims done and CLEAR (OFA Good Elbows Normal), ears up and firm, great personality, a little extreme in the rear for my taste but could be taken to something less extreme. Elegant, a little light on bone, but she is, again, proportionate, nice neck (maybe a little long).

Long story short, this bitch that started out at $2500 around Thanksgiving is now being offered for NO money exchanged. All the breeder wants is for her to be SHOWN and either have someone handle another bitch for her for a few shows, and/or ONE breeding back on THIS particular bitch (I would look over the contract forward and backwards).

Linebred on:
Proven Hill's Banker of Altana
WeLove DuChien's Matthew
Kismet's Sweetheart Deal
Jo-San's Enterprise
I can post a full pedigree if anybody is interested.

The bitch in question:

Here she is when she was first offered for sale:

Hopefully talks will progress and I'll go see her to evaluate

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
oh jackie....sounds perfect for you..i know squat about lines and such.....but she looks nice and what a deal. hope it works out for you if it turns out to be what you are wanting!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe she's just in Indiana, so I'd grab another GSD person and a video camera to take a look.

I can evaluate movement with lots of video, but what I REALLY want (because it can be sketchy in a few AmBred lines) is to see temperament and reactions to noise.

I don't normally care for so much linebreeding, but for a "starter bitch" when you want to breed, it can be fantastic.

Select quality? No. Finishable? Yes. And she would DEFINITELY do more than just conformation, which could please the breeder :)

She's old enough that I don't have to worry about ears, and young enough that I feel comfortable taking her on and she can learn plenty of new things.

Her OFA prelims are also done already (Good hips normal elbows) so I know in that regard that at least right NOW she isn't a flop in the joints department.

I'd like shorter pasterns. I think hers are strong, just a little long.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Jackie I see that you have already said you will look over the contract, it might not be a bad idea to have some one else look it over also, a set of eyes that have no vested interest in the deal. A person to play devil's advocate.

Write down you numbers, what it is going to cost you. Also take in to account that by showing the bitch you are increasing the value of the bitch.

Not a bad looking bitch, I agree she is a little more extreme than I like, but she has a very nice top line, her pasterns have firmed up, she could use more angle on the front shoulders.

Do you have a head shot?

Val

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:Jackie I see that you have already said you will look over the contract, it might not be a bad idea to have some one else look it over also, a set of eyes that have no vested interest in the deal. A person to play devil's advocate.
I'm already arranging to take 2-3 extra sets of eyes with me that can be more objective

Quote:Do you have a head shot?
Not current...the one I have is from when she was first available and it's an icky puppy head shot. I do think she may be a bit narrow, but there are some nice boys with much better heads that could "fix" that. It's more in her cheeks than her actual skull (I call it "Flat
cheeked")

I try very VERY hard to keep my eyes open and not become jaded or kennel blind.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
In the older shot the first one, it looks like she has some width to her muzzle, but maybe a bit of a roman bump in there. Her stop could be better, a bit of a ski slope. LOL but now I am being really picky.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She appears a bit dishfaced in the photo, but it also seems a little blurred.

I'm picking her faults, but I'm being careful because, as you know, pictures can cause illusions. I DO see the small roman nose however.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not really up on the show lines, but she looks nice. I just wanted to comment on the "stacking blocks". What a great concept! Is that something used commonly amongst "show" people?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They're called "Happy Legs" and they're $200 a set! Better to make your own or use soup cans/bricks! This is a very common method though :)

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Well she has a dark eye, that is good. But holy wonkers she could use smaller ears. Not just in height but the over all ear. She would be much prettier if she had smaller ears, the ears over power the rest of her face. Decent color on the muzzle would like to see a little darker on the forhead. Being picky again.

Val

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree about the ear size...however, because of the fantastic SET I am uber forgiving. Usually bitches like this are bat eared...I also think they'll look more proportionate when she's mature.

If I end up with her I'd take her to something with a shorter ear.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
I look forward to seeing her when she has filled out.

Her back leg seems a little long to me, without the usual accompanying stretched slope, is she level when she trots?

I like her face and I am partial to large ears.

Isn't it great that when the camera comes out, so does that tongue?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She has an over-elongated stifle (AKA she's got too much rear). No idea if she's level...I've not gotten to see her in person yet.

I would prefer shorter ears at least...too large for me currently, but I "accept" the largeness because of the nice set.

She's not stretched because she has a proper loin and back, while many others tend to be too long through the back, so we'll see how that affects her gait

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I like her. She may fill into those ears? Nice pigment and proportional. Is her croup a little steep or is it the picture? Front pasterns?

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Nice bitch. Every one else has already pointed out both her good and bad attributes (as spotted in the pictures), so all that reamains is for you to go see her.

Let us know how it comes out.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doc,
Her croup is a little steep. Firm pasterns, but they're a little long (Justin has the same issue).

I wish her owner would e-mail me back >.<

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
don't you think she may grow out of some of the physical points we have pointed out? How old is she? She's a real looker for sure!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think a lot of what I'm seeing is what it is. The pasterns won't get shorter, nor will the hocks...the croup may change angle slightly as she matures, but it'll still be a little short.

I DO think that she'll look better in the rear as she matures and grows back into it, same for those ears.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts