German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm taking Sage to climb her first 14'er here in Colorado, tomorrow. She will be wearing her palisades pack, although empty because she just turned one , I was wondering what else I should pack for her since its about 13 miles round trip? What kind of food to give her energy, how much water, safety and medical things ? I'm really excited cause she does great off leash especially hiking. So any thoughts or help would be great. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'd be inclined to take a tube of super-glue. Temporary paw pad suture in case she rips one. Enough to get her out of the woods, so to speak, till you get to a vet.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be inclined to take a tube of super-glue. Temporary paw pad suture in case she rips one. Enough to get her out of the woods, so to speak, till you get to a vet.
Cool, never would have guessed, that's a great idea thanks!!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Cool, never would have guessed, that's a great idea thanks!!
I only know this because Banjo went through a window once, sliced him up but good. The blood loss was enough to be worrisome, given the time it takes to get to the vet. I glued him up. Stopped the gushing long enough to have him stitched. Vet said it's not the BEST method of repairing torn/cut flesh but it gets the job done. He healed up with no visible issue(pads and webbing).

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only know this because Banjo went through a window once, sliced him up but good. The blood loss was enough to be worrisome, given the time it takes to get to the vet. I glued him up. Stopped the gushing long enough to have him stitched. Vet said it's not the BEST method of repairing torn/cut flesh but it gets the job done. He healed up with no visible issue(pads and webbing).
Wow, that's great. Glad to know it will work if I get in a bind

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Awesome, have fun! Chama did her first 14'er at 4 months old. :laugh: Take a first aid kit that includes doggie and people stuff, plenty of water, snacks (I'd go for dehydrated raw or dehydrated meat--something with plenty of protein), activated charcoal (you can give it if she ingests something toxic or if she has gas or an upset stomach).

I always carry needle-nose pliers to remove quills or thorns from their feet, vet wrap, some sort of antibacterial cream, gauze, etc.

P.s. I'm sure you can put the first aid kit and the snacks in her pack. It shouldn't be a problem for her to carry a small amount of weight.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Just make sure to pack plenty of water, and the first aid supplies. If your dog has good, hard pads on her feet, and is used to hiking, you shouldn't have any problems. If she is not accustomed to such terrain, think about buying her some booties, so her pads do not get torn up. My dog took a while to build up her paw pads, so when we went for longer hikes in rough terrain, I would put booties on her for at least the first part of the trip.

Which 14er are you going to do? I did Mt. Bierstadt several years ago... and right after we summited, a storm started rolling in and I almost got struck by lightning. :D Good times.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, have fun! Chama did her first 14'er at 4 months old. :laugh: Take a first aid kit that includes doggie and people stuff, plenty of water, snacks (I'd go for dehydrated raw or dehydrated meat--something with plenty of protein), activated charcoal (you can give it if she ingests something toxic or if she has gas or an upset stomach).

I always carry needle-nose pliers to remove quills or thorns from their feet, vet wrap, some sort of antibacterial cream, gauze, etc.

P.s. I'm sure you can put the first aid kit and the snacks in her pack. It shouldn't be a problem for her to carry a small amount of weight.
Yeah im going to get a first aid kit, and try and find something high in protein . Ive never heard of activated charcoal? You feed it to the dogs ?
And yes I plan on taking a pair of my fishing pliers to pull out cactus
Ok ill try and give her a little weightin her pack

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just make sure to pack plenty of water, and the first aid supplies. If your dog has good, hard pads on her feet, and is used to hiking, you shouldn't have any problems. If she is not accustomed to such terrain, think about buying her some booties, so her pads do not get torn up. My dog took a while to build up her paw pads, so when we went for longer hikes in rough terrain, I would put booties on her for at least the first part of the trip.

Which 14er are you going to do? I did Mt. Bierstadt several years ago... and right after we summited, a storm started rolling in and I almost got struck by lightning. :D Good times.
I think she should have pretty hard pads, she goes to work with me everyday and runs around while I work, so I think she will be good, but maybe I should think about boots just in case.

We are doing mt. Massive, I've gotten caught up high before in storms before, one time we had to throw away our Ice picks because there was so much electricity in the air every time we picked them up it felt like we wwere about to get struck. That was very scary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts