German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fireworks have been on my mind because they are a 'thing' around here on New Years Eve. We had a girl who was afraid of everything. If dogs can have ptsd, Ellie had it. Her panic could break your heart. She's the one that tried to get up the stairs though the side and got her head jammed between the spindles during a thunderstorm. She tried to get under the furniture, behind the wood stove and other impossible places. She clawed at doors and it was just hours of panic. We tried a lot of things- drugs, (not recommended) sitting with her, etc but nothing worked. UNTIL - we drowned out the noise with movies. We played ID4 and Total Recall rather loud, repeating the scenes that were the noisiest. The floor rattled, and the noise inside disguised the noise outside. She didn't notice the fireworks. Just passing this along because it is the only thing that worked and easy to try and does not involved making her loopy. She just thought we were watching another noisy movie I think.

Oh, and Happy New Year to everyone.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Fireworks can be very trying for many dogs.

Current dog watches them with me without any stress. My previous dog didn't mind too much, but felt better inside. Dog before that didn't like them at all...

Had a Chihuahua that would try to dig through the back wall of the closet to avoid the noise!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Have you tried a "Thunder Shirt" ? I bought one for my anxiety ridden rescue GSD. It helped so much I only used it
a few times. Plus, don't laugh, my little cat who also doesn't like thunder, became my dog's consoler. they wrap around each other for a few minutes and rub and pat each other. But the thunder shirt is effective for many dogs.
Also many trainers say go on about your business as though nothing is happening when the fireworks start. Don't pay attention to it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Our female gets a little spooked by gunfire or thunder.... my male could care less.

in the house, the thunder blankie helps .. some... but not completely.

we have a rifle range down the street and we can hear them sometimes on a saturday..... she runs around the yard with her jolly ball and shakes it around whining

1 - 4 of 4 Posts