German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

So recently, Cruz has had a problem. He's had what I call the.nasties out the backdoor if you know what I mean. It's a wierd looking blob of poo. But my wife told me he had shot some poo out of his butt. So while on a walk lastnight, he kind of started acting like he needed to go and we stopped, but nothing. So we started out again and I heard this little pop fizzle sound and he actuallt shot diahrea out his but while walking! It was a small amount but then we stopped again and he really went. This is when the blob came flying out. It had some gas behind it.

Never had a dog do this. Ever. He's 6months now. We feed him around 4 cups of Blue Buffalo LG. breed puppy a day. He also gets alot of training treats. He looks great, plays, everything normal. Something is upsetting his digestive trac. We have an old frozen wet towel we give him as he's been gowing through a pretty bad teething. One of his top front k-9's has not dropped out yet and the new one is well on it's way in. The baby one is still in there pretty solid right hbehimd the new one and doesn't look infected. We'll go to the vet for that one if it doesn't drop out soon. But the rag is pretty nasty. I'm affraid he may be getting a bacterial infection from the rag giving him this pooing problem so the rag went to the trash. I'll start eliminating things to see if this is it. I also tossed his old bones out too. It's confusing cause I've never seen this before and it doesn't happen but maybe once a day if that. But when it does it looks and sounds bad.

Anyone ever go through this with thier pooch?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
sounds like his anal glands are expressing. I would have the vet check them out..

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like his anal glands are expressing. I would have the vet check them out..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Yeh, don't know much about that. But it's a suggestion. I look at it like if we were to eat some contaminated food and it wound up not agreeing with our digestive trac. We know the end result there. I'll give him a few days to see if it clears out or not. I'm going to clean his chew toys also.

We watch him like a hawk to make sure he doesn't pick things up to eat, like certain flowers and vegitation are quite toxic if eaten. We have alot of different flowers and shrubbery around. It's a constent job making sure he stays out of those. Loves those rocks and dirt though!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If his anal glands are impacted or infected, he will be very uncomfortable until he sees your vet.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
also if it's an anal gland issue, doesn't have anything to do with what he eats/chews on, etc..

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have heard that Blue Buffalo can be a very rich food that some dogs can't tolerate. I don't know about the puppy formula, though. I wonder has he been on this food a long time? Is this something new? How old is he? Does this have a really horrible smell to it? This blob of poo or discharge, is it very large or quite small in size?,

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If his anal glands are impacted or infected, he will be very uncomfortable until he sees your vet.

Would he be constantly going after his backside if this were the case? I would think if there is something infected around his backside he'd be on it all the time. What are some other symptoms of anal gland infection?

Also, sometimes he will poo a firm stool then right after poo what I call soft serve looking poo. It's not every time. We have'nt given him a treat all day and just tonight he poo'd a nice firm stool.

We also just did a wellness checkup and he got a Parvo vacination also. Could vacinations cause something like this?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have heard that Blue Buffalo can be a very rich food that some dogs can't tolerate. I don't know about the puppy formula, though. I wonder has he been on this food a long time? Is this something new? How old is he? Does this have a really horrible smell to it? This blob of poo or discharge, is it very large or quite small in size?,

He has went through a large bad already. He's eating 4 cups a day. Yes what I experienced last night on the walk with him is new. Ha Ha, didn't stick around to smell it LOL! It was quite wierd to me as I've never experienced this from a dog. First was the little pooter sound with a brown milky substance that literally shot out of his butt when he was walking! It was an eye opener! Then shortly after is when he squatted and had the blobby looking discharge. May have been around a 1/3 of a cup in volume...guessing.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
also if it's an anal gland issue, doesn't have anything to do with what he eats/chews on, etc..
Unless he ate something and he's blocked or semi blocked.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless he ate something and he's blocked or semi blocked.

He doesn't seem to be blocked. He just had a normal one this afternoon. No runs, no blobs ect.

I'll know in the next day or so if it was to many treats or not. It may also be the type of treats too. With feeding him 4 cups a day and all those treats, it may be too much. We'll find out in the morning when he goes.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I read up on the anal gland symptoms. I'm confident this is not the problem. He doesn't show any of the symptoms, he doesn't scoot across the floor or act like he has any discomfort in that area. The discharge they describe is not what I seen either. So, unless something changes for the worse, I'm confident this is not the problem. I think it's diet related or some kind of bacterial thing going on. Diet is sticking out more now than anything else.

It is good to know, this is a good reason to keep your dogs from having soft stools to much. Soft stools can lead to anal gland problems because they require having a discharge when they poo. In order for them to discharge, it requires a firm stool to squeeze the glands. Soft stools won't squeeze the glands and that makes the glands retain too much fluid. So he has firm stools, and I think his glands get the required discharge they need to keep them from filling or backing up.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had a good stool this morning. I'm starting to think over treating at this point or the type of treats just puts his diet over the top. I'm going to start treating him while training again tomorrow and see what we get.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts