German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a bit of a pickle. I called my vet and since it's 4th of July only the ER vets are working and require a visit along with blood work to be done for my question to be answered.

Zeeva has firework phobia. I was going to stay home with her and keep her in her crate but I JUST found out my granny has colon cancer and I need to be with the family during fireworks time. I'm concerned she'll get out of her crate and destroy the house or hurt herself.

I've clonazaepam at 0.5 mg. I've given it to her in the past for our move from Chicago to Las Vegas (drive). But it didn't seem to help and I almost felt it made her more anxious. What's a safe dose for her to take? Can I administer it today?

Is there anything over the counter like melatonin (I need a dose) that I can give her?

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Google Benadryl for dogs. There are links to dosage and will at least make her a bit drowsy.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
We don't drug our dog and he is terrified of the fireworks. We put a thunder shirt on him and put him in a room with the tv playing on the loud side to help drowned out the fireworks. It seems to do the trick.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
We don't drug our dog and he is terrified of the fireworks. We put a thunder shirt on him and put him in a room with the tv playing on the loud side to help drowned out the fireworks. It seems to do the trick.
I was just going to say this. Turn your stereo on a bit louder to drown out the exterior noises.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I would give 2 of the 3(mcg?) melatonin~human grade or you can give 1 valerian root capsule. I just found out my son took all my melatonin meant for my dogs, so I'm giving valerian root to Kacie tonight.
I've never seen my dogs get drowsy from benedryl, I give it to Onyx for her allergies.

I agree, though, turn up the inside noise/run a fan. Because you don't know how your dog may react to calming meds, best to try them first when you are around to observe.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
What I would do,,turn on the stereo like one suggested,,is she in AC area?? Turn UP the ac,,(noise factor:)

Since you can't give benedryl, any melatonin around??? I would give her a couple of 3mg melatonin, chills them out without making them drugged up..

Valerian Root like jane suggested is another good alternative.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm going to try the loud stereo this evening but if that doesn't work well enough I'm going to take the dogs for a drive in the car somewhere away from the noise.
They love the car and won't be able to hear the fireworks.
Both dogs are nervous but not frantic. Yet.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My golden doesn't like them, this is the first year that I have noticed it. I'm leaving and I'm leaving the air on, the fan on, and the tv rather loud. I'm also giving him a herbal type pill that calms him down.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Yup I'm like all the rest I put my TV on full blast , so between the TV and my kids hopefully Bella won't hear the fireworks. My poor baby was such a nervous wreck before she wouldn't even go to the bathroom and just run straight back to the house and these were the little ones, so I can't imagine she'll be doing good tonight..

·
Registered
874 Posts
ours has started up already in town and we can hear them clear out here..so far all it seems to be doing is annoying Roxy..she was trying to settle in for a nap. She just doesn't pay that much attention to stuff like that..at least not yet. We had a tornado go through town a week ago and slept through that..except for the moaning that it too was disturbing what she had going on.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Just started here and Bella is freaking out worse then I thought she would she's practically on my lap, whoa I never seen her so freaked out the Tv is loud and the kids are being loud, We're in for a long night :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts