German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Wow so glad you got good news back on Deja!!! Will they be able to tell or test for what the allergen is?
I think it can have something to do with fleas in the training venues. I have pulled her out of classes and see. The current building has a dry soil floor even. This combination has happened in other years as well. I don't think it's diet as she gets a good variety. If that doesn't give any answers I will look into testing for allergies

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
My GSD Cody had had something similar, that was several years ago. At the same time is when he'd had his acl injury. The vet I was using at the time had said she thought he might have cancer and put him on some meds, I ended up switching over to the vet I have now, he switched up meds, did his acl surgery and Cody never had another flair up I guess you could say. He was about 5 at the time and lived to be just a couple months of turning 12.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Prayers have been answered, thank you! Good news on Deja: very reactive lymph nodes as a reaction to an allergen. No parasites, all blood, liver and kidneys ok. No Lyme but most important: no cancer! We are awaiting the x ray results tomorrow. I am going to enjoy this girl for many more years hopefully! Just have to figure out the allergy
Prayer answered! You go Deja!

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Thank you all. It's evident how much we all love our dogs. Now waiting what the x rays have to say. The doc yesterday told me that she was worried about fistulas in her pads but didn't want to mention it yet since I lost WD on anal fistulas. But Deja's inflamed pads turned out to be from licking so I am glad that wasn't added to my panic. Her anti itch shot (forgot the medicine name) has done her a lot of good and her paws are healing and today she shows a sturdier gait. She is also not withdrawn anymore and is engaging Bo in play. I am slowly starting to wonder if all this trouble is caused by a flea allergy. If so, at least she got a senior physical exam out of this ordeal, which she passed with flying colors. Hooray for pet insurance.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
That’s why we must stay positive until we have all the information.

Cytopoint?
Yes, that was the anti itch shot. Someone mentioned that she gives her dog Zyrtec in allergy season. 1 tablet for her 45 pound dog. Will check this with my vet

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Update on the X-rays: she has a mild case of Spondylosis at the Thorax and the vet talked to me extensively about PT exercises for her. Basically similar what I need to do for my back. Last step will be allergy testing. Everything else is ruled out; no HD, no disc disease or infection etc. I think she will be able to get old with this.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
X-rays show mild Spondylosis in the neck. No restrictions on exercise and she should swim, which is not a problem. The last thing to do is the allergy test next week. Physically she is in pretty good shape. All x rays of spine and hips and elbows are looking good.
Any tips on Spondylosis before I resort to Google? Looks like her weaker gait was caused by itching and hurting from licking feet since she moves normal now. It's been quite a puzzle.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I’m glad she is doing well I think it is something like arthritis so anything that would help with cutting down inflammation. Swimming would be great.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
So happy to hear the tests came back negative for cancer and that she's on the upswing! I know I haven't been posting as much, but still hanging around in the background and wishing you and Deja well. :)

61 - 78 of 78 Posts