German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't even know where to start.

Zeeva is beginning to jump our 6 1/2 foot wooden fence. Soon as I let her out to pee or poo she climbs over it. I can't trust her outside any more at all. And I'm very frustrated that she can't run around or pee or poo freely. I don't want to leash her or crate her 24/7. I don't want to leash her in her own yard. Our neighbors have dogs that she'd kill if she ended up on their side.

Has anyone been able to deal with a climber? Would her shock collar work for preventing this behavior? Why does she do it? It really hurts...

When she jumps over she begins to play the catch me if you can game. I was in tears today. I've no control over her whatsoever. Then when I'm able to get her I've to drag her back into the yard. She's pretty strong and carrying an adult dog that's fighting against me...I can't even describe it...

Please help :c

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
build her a kennel with two doors so she can't bolt when you go
and get her.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Don't let her behavior hurt your feelings. Either leash her at all times while outside or improve the fencing so that she can't climb over it. The shock collar may train her out of it but I don't have the experience to say for sure.

I know this must be a stress for you but I see it as a management problem. She must be pretty agile. My fence is only three feet high but not one of my dogs have been able to figure that out--visiting dogs have merrily cleared it and ended up in the neighbor's yard.
We do have a ton of foliage on the fence line.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I'd build a big kennel in the yard if you have room. 10' x10' with good shade should be plenty of room as long as she isn't living in there. Until you get the climbing the fence stopped it isn't safe to leave her off leash so you have to contain her either in a kennel or with a long line and stay outside with her. If you don't want to kennel I would suggest a 45 degree angle added to the top of the fence facing into the yard. But, until she learns not to climb the fence - stay outside with her.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I think a nice kennel area would be best or like someone else said some kind of bushes or something along the fence line. They also have coyote rollers, which if they keep the coyotes out, then they probably keep dogs in. The only thing about the coyote rollers is that I'm not sure if she could hurt herself, but I'm guessing she would learn. This is my fear with Midnite when we move. I went from getting a wood fence to a vinyl fence, with the hopes that climbing won't be able to be done. I'm also building a 10X20 kennel for them. Midnite engages with the other dogs well, so I'm hoping they will keep him from thinking. He will never be outside unsupervised.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I dont let my dog out by herself and being in Chicago I dont know that you should either.A lot of dogs get stolen there for the dog fighting. Just be careful is all I am saying. It can be frustrating but I trained Lulu to pee and poo on command so when I cant spend a lot of time out side she goes quickly.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My fence is only about 4-4.5 feet so I was worried I would have the same problem, especially since the Malinois boys can jump at least 6 feet straight up in the air just for fun. They have never even tried or thought about it though, but I also have almost 1 acre fenced so its a big area. The neighbor boys playing football and frisbee right on the other side has been the biggest temptation but no problems yet.
My plans for the potential problem was this: 1. Get an in ground fence and put the collars on them 2. Put a hot wire along the top (like those used for livestock, although this could maybe cause your dog to fall back and hurt herself, 6.5 feet is a long way to fall) 3. Put something along the top that angles into the yard, like what they have around prison yards.

Oh and my friend who had a dog that would do this put a long tie out line in her yard and kept the dog on that.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
if there is something on the other side like kids or strange noises and your dog jumped the fence to get to it then i'd understand. but if she just jumps it constantly to explore then i'd think more exercise is in order. gsd arent like huskys and want to run away to explore the world. also more obedience training. you shouldnt have to chase your dog everywhere to "catch" her.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I dont let my dog out by herself and being in Chicago I dont know that you should either.A lot of dogs get stolen there for the dog fighting. Just be careful is all I am saying. It can be frustrating but I trained Lulu to pee and poo on command so when I cant spend a lot of time out side she goes quickly.
THIS!!

She is bored when she's outside by herself. Go outside with her and wait for her to go. Then either initiate some play or bring her back inside.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have a fence jumper (6' chain link, and she goes right over it). She is now NEVER allowed outside unsupervised. Period, end of discussion. I've even put her on a long line at times to keep her from going over the fence after birds or 'possums. She's not friendly to people or other dogs, so keeping her in is especially important.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
She's bored! Basu, who I adopted at age 4.5, ran away from his original home every chance he got. The only exercise he got there was to be let out into the yard and he got no training whatsoever. This never happened after I adopted him except once when he ran from my neighbor (who had taken him to the dog park) home to me. :p The difference was that I exercised him at least 2 hours a day and training was a part of our daily routine.

More exercise and, if it's too hot for that then more games and things to work her brain. Lots of clicker training games and exercises here: | Karen Pryor Clicker Training

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would think the in-ground fence along the wooden fence would be the least expensive and still get the job done.

I also agree that it sounds like she is bored/needs more exercise.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I dont let my dog out by herself and being in Chicago I dont know that you should either.
+1 to that.

I give my dogs a fair amount of freedom (if you look up our vacation thread in the Pictures subforum you can see what I mean), but I never let them go anywhere unsupervised. That's doubly true when we're at home in the city. Cities are dangerous places for dogs.

And more supervision inherently means more interaction, so use it as an opportunity to play, train, and build up that connection.

·
Registered
705 Posts
My male dog was trained daily and got tons of hiking (I lived on 40 acres next to 300 acres of public land) yet he always wanted out of wherever he was put. It had nothing to do with boredom in his case (not saying boredom doesn't contribute to fence jumping). The electric fence kept him in and other animals out. I love them. However! I live in the country where people do not walk by my fenced in area. I would not leave my dogs outside without being home if I lived in the city with sidewalks and pedestrian traffic. Also, my gates are locked when I am not home and there is a dog door to allow the dogs access to the house.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts