German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find some "indestructible" (lasting longer then 60 seconds) balls.

Anya loves to play fetch, but with her jaws of steel, nothing is safe toy wise, except for her squeeky pink flamingo that she has had since the day we got her.

Nylabones, Black XL Kongs, Kong sportsballs, marrowbones, bullysticks, antlers...nothing survives and my wallet is running low making weekly trips to the store to find new toys.

She loves to play fetch but only with actual balls, and I am starting to run out of ideas on what type of ball would survive her chewing if she bites down on it.

It is not so much when she is running back with the ball, but if she gets to keep any ball for longer then a literally a few seconds the balls are history. I have tried to get the largest size balls she can carry in the hope she won't be able to bite down full force, but so far no luck whatsoever.

Any suggestions are very welcome, as she hates not playing fetch! (and i do too its a nice way to burn of some over her excess energy)

·
Registered
874 Posts
I found a mega masher ball at walmart...roxy loves it. It's a great fetch ball.

http://www.rosewoodpet.com/catalogu...gid=42891&pg=EzU7GN0XFrt72AwxcRc8ZAkv92Sfrs1t $5.97

and ps I just looked at the reviews and Roxy plays hard and hasn't even begun to destroy this ball yet..and her tennis balls are almost shredded ...so not sure if these people have dogs they are starving that say they destroyed it before they even had the rest of their crap put away? YIKES.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Lyssa and David!

Not sure on those dogs from the review, 2 of my 4 are extremely rough on any toy. And 2 are very soft mouthed as long as there is no fluff in the toys ;) We will find out how it how well it will hold up in this household lol

Either one brands seem definitely worth a shot and decently priced! Glow in the dark is a really good idea I will have to give that a shot for night playtime!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I wanted to write a review and ask these people if they ever fed their dogs :) but I didn't. Roxy plays HARD with fetch ...and this ball hasn't even begun to look used. I love it..and she loves to bring it back to me. I wish I had enough room fenced in to play with a chuck it :( but I don't.

I also got her a soccer ball that she loves to play with..but she's starting to carry it around and I'm worried it might hurt her mouth..but she keeps on doing it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Cruz has a full size football, had a soccerball that didn't last long, and one of those Chuckit kick and fetch balls to replace the soccerball. So far it's pretty durable though he doesn't really use it for a chew toy. The football he likes also and for now has turned out durable. He's only 6 months. He has some difficulty gripping the football but when he does it's a major accomplishment for him. He prances around like crazy.

·
Registered
874 Posts
somebody had said to let a little of the air out so that they can carry them easier..I was waiting for a puncture mark for that to happen naturally ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I know no better: Amazon.com: ChuckIt! Medium Ultra Balls 2.5-Inch, 2-Pack: Pet Supplies
Definitely need medium for your adult GSD.You can also look for their glow balls for night play.
I think these might be the ones I just got and so far so good, but I seldom let mine hang onto them after the game of fetch is up. Don't buy any with tennis ball like fuzz on them as they will wear on their teeth. My females are not quite 3 and they both have little flat spots on each canine from kong air balls.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I like this one better than the planet ball.
PlanetDog.com: Buy the Planet Dog Orbee Ball DIAMOND PLATE

I copied the link right off the site but the "diamond plate" is not highligting
Oh well Planet Dog Diamond Plate Ball. Love it. And the holes are two sizes so if you want to knot a peice of climbing rope and feed it through one hole, the other will stop it. A police officer showed me the ball. Mine are 1.5 years old, played with daily and look like new.

Link did not work right.
More than one way to skin a cat.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Dog-Orbee-Tuff-Diamond-Silver/dp/B000OBKCGC[/ame]

I like the 3 1/4 inch balls as well. I don't trust 2.5 inches .... too small....choking hazard.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I learned the hard way that tennis balls are bad for their teeth.

And I Have to use a ChuckIT for Jack or we're just wasting everyone's time. I have the ChuckIT glow balls and they can mouth on those and so far no damage. They're less expensive at Tractor Supply than the pet stores :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I like this one better than the planet ball.
PlanetDog.com: Buy the Planet Dog Orbee Ball DIAMOND PLATE

I copied the link right off the site but the "diamond plate" is not highligting
Oh well Planet Dog Diamond Plate Ball. Love it. And the holes are two sizes so if you want to knot a peice of climbing rope and feed it through one hole, the other will stop it. A police officer showed me the ball. Mine are 1.5 years old, played with daily and look like new.

Link did not work right.
More than one way to skin a cat.
Amazon.com: Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Diamond Plate Orbee Ball, Silver: Pet Supplies

I like the 3 1/4 inch balls as well. I don't trust 2.5 inches .... too small....choking hazard.
This might sound like a silly question, but how much "bounce" do these have in comparison to a tennis ball? I'm curious because the ball pictured in my last post is great on grass but bounces too much on dirt. I have a field at work I use and want to find a less lively ball to use there.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
The Diamond plate ball does not bounce nearly as much as the chuckit ultra ball.
It has been so long since I have touched a tennis ball though.......I can't say.

I totally understand because I don't like balls bouncing over my fence and this one seems pretty good at NOT doing that. I also like that it does not "collect" abrasive dirt like a tennis ball does.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
The Diamond plate ball does not bounce nearly as much as the chuckit ultra ball.
It has been so long since I have touched a tennis ball though.......I can't say.

I totally understand because I don't like balls bouncing over my fence and this one seems pretty good at NOT doing that. I also like that it does not "collect" abrasive dirt like a tennis ball does.
I'm concerned about the safety of their joints and whatnot too. They will make some pretty amazing launches attempting to catch it, but it scares me they'll get injured. I didn't heed the teeth wear warnings like I should have with the kong air balls. I only recently switched after forking out the money to get Zoey's teeth fixed and getting a nice lecture from the vet. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, really appreciate the links as well makes it so much easier to check it out. We now have quite the selection of balls to chose from for our little landshark!landshark!

Nigel I agree, on the launches, my husband had a dog when he was a kid that ended up fracturing his hind leg trying to catch a ball, we both for that reason don't throw our balls high just low and far.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Open spaces as well. Grim knocked out his entire top row of incisors because a tree got in the way of the ball.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Open spaces as well. Grim knocked out his entire top row of incisors because a tree got in the way of the ball.
How did that affect him? Was he still able to eat normally after that incident?

The worst thing out here are the cacti, so much fun having to pull spines out of their nose,gums and tongue. Or when they come running back and want to lick the spines of on you....

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Oh, he was fine. The vet just pulled them out (they were broken at the gumline). Actually he dropped this bloody slimy ball and blood was just dripping out of his mouth and his teeth were "clacking". He wanted me to throw it again! His canines were not damaged.

The hardest part was he could not have any balls until he was all healed. So I thought I had hid them all and he found a light bulb in the trash can and I found THAT in his crate all crushed. Grim was one adventure after another :). Oh, bread, lots of bread. No issues from the light bulb which was, thankfully, not flourescent (mercury)!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts