German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay to start with Berrin has been a bit itchy lately. I guess you can say itchy, licking and a bit of nibbling at himself. It seems to be more of a early morning thing. After he gets fed and walked I do some work on the computer and he will jump on the bed and fuss at himself. He gets his flea drops and we have checked him for any bugs. I highly doubt it's mange because it's only the size of about a penny that he will lick/nibble and the hair will go away in the spot we clean it for about a week he leaves them alone and the hair grows back. The only spots he will do this are on his legs just above his paw. He has had hot spots before during the summer last year not this past year. I'm trying to eliminate as many things as possible so we can try to find the source of it all. Which sounds somewhat futile from reading some posts.

So he got his bath during the summer 1-2 baths per year depending on who you ask. Brush 2 times per week. Cleaning his bed and rooms once a week. We have decided to eliminate all of his Milkbone treats and subbing those with baby carrots. Next would be changing his food or staying with the food and adding fish oil to his diet.

He has been on Canidae Chicken and Rice more or less since he came home 2 1/2 years ago. He has always gotten Milkbone treats. So his diet really hasn't changed but maybe they changed? He enjoys his food and eats it up as soon as I put it down for him. I have read some ratings and it seems like his food is around a 4 out of 6. But the 6 stars all have warnings about the protein levels. If we decide to change foods should it be totally off of Canidae? Or would be moving up to Canidae All Life Stages which is rated a 5 out of 6 be a option?

I know long probably a lot of dumb questions sorry. ;)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't think they are dumb questions! I bet it has to do with a food allergy. Brodys been a little itchy scratchy lately too! I give him raw in the mornings and kibble at night. I'm going to start with only one protein source and see if I can rule it out. He also had a minor dog cold/sinus infection. I'm wondering if there is something around the house that he is allergic too. I would try a grain free food if you can, maybe he is allergic to the grains in the food! If he still itches, maybe try another type of protein? Let me know what works for you!!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
See what happens once all the milkbones are gone from his diet for a while. Even 1 or 2 a day will cause Sage to itch and get gunky ears.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Lesley,

Yes he's allergic to all the neighbors cats :) lol.

Sage how long do you think it will take for the treats to be out of his system? Berrin has been on chicken for the most part. He was on Canidae lamb for a bit but we went back to the chicken.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
is it JUST the spots on his legs above his paws he does this too? I wouldnt rule out allergies one bit but is it possible he's under some stress too? I've known dogs who when stressed even a little bit will lick and chew themselves raw in the place you're describing. Have you brought in any new pets? or remodeled or anything like that? I hope you get it figured out. We stopped giving milkbones altogether because they werent helping Zena's allergies and then Riley developed allergies to pretty much everything.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
He has 4 main areas that he will fuss with. He will fuss the middle of his back just before his tail. That will consist of most nibbling some licking. He will lick his chest and nibble from time to time. He will scratch just above his collar bellow the ears. Then his fussing of his leg areas only three of them though not all four. He doesn't fuss with his ears at all. We checked the areas and no rash or dry spots or anything alarming. Stress nothing has changed for him. Unless he's picking up on my stress from something outside of his needs.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
He has 4 main areas that he will fuss with. He will fuss the middle of his back just before his tail. That will consist of most nibbling some licking. He will lick his chest and nibble from time to time. He will scratch just above his collar bellow the ears. Then his fussing of his leg areas only three of them though not all four. He doesn't fuss with his ears at all. We checked the areas and no rash or dry spots or anything alarming. Stress nothing has changed for him. Unless he's picking up on my stress from something outside of his needs.

i would suggest a flea bath just to make sure thats not part of the issue. if he is picking up on some stress from you, which with animals we all know is very likely, sit back, take a couple deep breaths and let your furry pal help lower some blood pressure. Could is be possible he's allergic to chicken? have you tried a lamb and rice formula?

Riley fusses pretty badly with the base of his tail when we have an unknown flea problem and he's actually balding on his legs right now because he chews and licks because of the fleas. I swear that dog could find a flea frozen in a blizzard.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
He gets his frontline drops every month. When I gave him his bath toward the middle of summer it was with a shampoo that would kill fleas and any other pests he might pickup. I could give him another bath but it would have to be inside in the shower. He hasn't got a bath inside the house since he was a puppy and then he went and took a pee in his sisters room as soon as he got out. :wild:

He has been on chicken since he came to us as a pup. We went over to lamb for a short period and went back to chicken again. But that change wasn't in the last 6-10 months.

We really try to stay on top of the flea possibilites with the dang stray cats the neighbors have and the big field next to the house. Stormy had he darnedest time with them when she was alive. We even did the house this year to go along with his bath and drops.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
He gets his frontline drops every month. When I gave him his back toward the middle of summer it was with a shampoo that would kill fleas and any other pests he might pickup. I could give him another bath but it would have to be inside in the shower. He hasn't got a bath inside the house since he was a puppy and then he went and took a pee in his sisters room as soon as he got out. :wild:

He has been on chicken since he came to us as a pup. We went over to lamb for a short period and went back to chicken again. But that changed wasn't in the last 6-10 months.

We really try to stay on top of the flea possibilites with the dang stray cats the neighbors have and the big field next to the house. Stormy had he darnedest time with them when she was alive. We even did the house this year to go along with his bath and drops.

lol took it out on his sister huh? typical male! haha. jk. i have to wait til the 1st to go buy a shower attachment so i can bath the dogs in the house to combat the fleas. . . the cats arent going to be happy with baths again. does your dog eat a grain free food? Riley never had an issue with chicken until we switched food to a lamb formula and then went back to a chicken formula. His symptoms didnt show up until almost a year later.

We have issues with fleas because for the some reason the deer have taken up hopping peoples fences along my street. we've gotten warnings on the door about it a couple times. have you talked to your vet about it? They may have some suggestions as to what could be the issue, maybe help narrow it down. Sadly there's so much that can be causing it, it could take a while to figure it out.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Given you live in PA I would try these foods:

1) Annamaet Option
2) Zinpro
3) Verus Opticoat

The food need not be a grain free.

It sounds to me this is more of a contact issue rather than food. You can also change bedding and use a cot style bed rather than a pillow. Cot style bed are less likely to support fleas and other annoyng critters.

Spring, try using Advantix instead of Frontline.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
But the 6 stars all have warnings about the protein levels. ;)
that site is woefully out of date on this issue. high protein from animal sources is not an issue, even for a growing pup. you could choose any higher protein food (canidae has a nice grain free salmon formula reasonably priced).

however, thus far you dont know if it is a food allergy, fleas, or something environmental.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts