German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way of finding my registered GSD's litter siblings? If there is how do I go about doing so?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only have the breeders email address, and I dont even know its in use still.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Just an off comment... this is another reason to develop a relationship with the breeder you purchase from that lasts longer than the few weeks surrounding the purchase.

When Peri passes away @ 12, I contacted Ingrid in Az, who I bought him from and let her know, discussed simular bloodlines that might still be available and such. I dare say that I've communicated with Lee (Wolfstraum) more over the past 6 years prior to even getting a pup, than I did with many of my relatives! LOL.

AKC should have the info, but not sure if or how you would access it. You probably could find the registered names of the dogs in his/her litter (though it may cost) but doubt that they would release the names of their owners.

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
The breeder should not release the names of the litter siblings owners, without their permission. I can say, one lives in Concord, one lives in NY or Indiana, but I certainly would not give names, addresses, e-mail, phone numbers.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've not been in touch with my breeder since she yelled at me (literally) for performing emergency surgery when my puppy had an intussussception and almost died. Then when I asked for medical records, she refused to answer (until I threatened her) and since then, just have not wanted to deal with her at all.

Unfortunately, my dog has had illness after illness since that first episode and has a medical file an inch thick at 3 years old. It's a sore subject, one I 'know' I should relay to her, but not sure why I should.

I just wonder how 'healthy' the other pups from the litter are. I can find the sire in the pedigree database, but not the dam. I registered Siena through AKC, but even I can't find her there

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
The only one of my pup's siblings I have any contact with is an older half sister - through this board. I'd asked my breeder on pick up day to give my email address to anyone interested in keeping touch with the litter mates (6boys, all boys). Never heard from anyone.

Maybe I should remind her lol. I send pictures all the time to my breeder and chat sometimes by email with Otto's sire's owner. I love my baby Otto and he's been such a great pup, much I may want to get his baby half sister in a few years.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I found a few of Benny's litter mates, along with some from a previous litter with same sire and dam, and some half siblings without even trying on facebook. My breeder has a facebook page, and barely goes on it but many of those who have purchased pups from her had added her as a friend so I requested them as friends too. We are actually planning a get together in Monterey for Benny and a few litter mates and half siblings.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
If the breeder used something like the German way for registering a litter where each litter the pups names all start with the same letter. For example Jethro has brother Jake and Jax a sister Jynx..... Keyzah has a brother Kilo (on this board but I have yet to see picture....)
and all the pups registered names end with the breeders kennel name (Jethro vom Landholz). Then a placed like pedigree data base you might be able to find the dogs registered names and then do a web search on the names.... might turn something up might not. Facebook might work too. I know there IS a way to find the names on AKC's site but it has been a long time since I messed with it. I remember I had to go to the store section and there was a place to type in the registration number. The last two numbers on the registration number would be the pups number like X12345/01 (01 would be pup 1 the littermates would be 02, 03, 04 after the /.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I found one of Kaia's litter mates by going and registering her at pedigreedatabase.com. The breeder told us about it and I had all of sire and dames information and it listed the one litter mate that was registered.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've tried to find Bianca's littermates but I only know the registered name of one of them and I can't find any info when I search for that name... Her siblings aren't listed on Pedigree Database either.

I did find some of her 'relatives' through this forum though! For example Keefer is Bianca's more-than-half sibling (same sire, but Bianca's grand-dam is Keefer's dam.)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I never even thought about finding any of Mandi's littermates. Hmm. Never even crossed my mind. Maybe next week when I am off work I'll call the breeder (BYB as she may be) and check in.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
The breeder is the best resource for that information. They should have records with contact info for everyone they sold a puppy too. Though I agree that a breeder shouldn't share that without the permission of the other customers. We actually have a yahoo group for customers, with probably 80% or so participation, and people really seem to enjoy keeping in touch through that. I know of other breeders who have groups too, or other ways for people to keep in touch. Lots of people like keeping in contact with owners of their dog's relatives, so it's not an uncommon request and definitely worth asking the breeder about. I'd bet many of the littermate owners would probably love to hear from you.

As Ruq said, the German style naming system does help a lot with regards to keeping track. If you've got Adog vom Kennel and you see Adog2 vom Kennel listed on the OFA site or in trial records or mentioned on a website, you know it's your dog's littemate. One reason I like it as it makes research into relatives a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have a yahoo email group too, Chris. Alot of the puppy owners find it a great resource and fun!!! Nothign like going through the trials and tribulations with littermate's owners and the breeder there to help with ideas or just good old support! It is also fun to share pictures and videos nobody else in our lives would appreciate. LOL!

OP, Maybe you can contact your breeder and suggest a Yahoo group for those who wish to keep in touch. Although, for breeders with a lot to hide, I can see why this would never be an option.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Quote:I know of other breeders who have groups too, or other ways for people to keep in touch.
Akbar's breeder does this.

I wish I could see Cody's sibilings but the "breeder" stopped breeding GSDs and we got into a tuff over the stupidest thing so I have not talked to her in 5 years or so....
I sometimes see Isa's sister.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I think it is great that breeders have blog/groups. It helps support other puppy owners, sharing the same issues that all go thru during certain stages. With the Wildhaus group, we also have photo albums on the groupsite so it is a nice way for keeping history of trials, and events that the dogs participate in.

One of Onyx's littermates lives 1/2 mile away and my DH works with another littermate owner, we never get together, but I have seen both pups and Onyx played with them before they were 2yrs. Another pup owner has a website and I see updates on her(she has had 2 litters already, and only 3 yrs old:(
It seems that the other littermate owners have the dogs for companion only, no training classes or sportwork...though the one that had pups is working on the horsefarm, they all have extreme herding instinct.
No paperwork ever surfaced on Onyx's dam, so none of the 3 litters she bore are registered....
Onyx's breeder has no contact with me anymore, I sent her an e-mail update when she turned 3 and never got a reply.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I talk to Shane's breeder pretty frequently through emails or when I see her at dog shows. She kept Shane's sister, a liver, as a show prospect. Shane's half brother Sean, (they have the same dad) is being campaigned right now in Best of Breed competitions so I see him at shows, too.

I only see or am kept up to date on Shane/Sydney's relatives who are active in the show world.

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
I tried to look up littermates on AKC the day before yesterday, and checked the whole litter's numbers, and checked a few different ways, and could find none. Then I ran out of searches for that day!!!

So today when I went in, I checked my previous litter, and only one of the pups besides the ones I own is actually registered. I find that really weird. Are people really so concerned that the dog is AKC and then they do not bother to register the dog???

Whatever.

But yeah, you go to http://www.akc.org, then sign in, and go to the store, go to reports, then to points and rewards, and then you can look up a dog, and a search engine comes out.

From there you can look up the by either the name of the dog or by AKC number (with prefix). The last two numbers are the number of the pup sold.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts