German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can we know wether the puppy is a double coat one or single when it is one month old.i have a gsd now of 7 months old.his father was a double coat and mother was single.so he got his mother features.he didnt get long coat.i am taking a new puppy now.how to find out?

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Can you define what you mean by "double" and "single" coat?

GSDs are a double coated dog. Meaning they have an outer coat of coarse guard hairs, and a wooly undercoat. During summer, the undercoat is often very sparse on some dogs. So I don't know what you mean by "father was a double coat and mother was single".

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
thank you I thought I was going crazy when I read the thread

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Good question Chris.

What came to MY mind reading the first post is that the sire has an undercoat and the dam was a long coat. (Without an undercoat.)
Of course I guess it could also be the the dam has a super "slick" coat (Mole coat.) with no noticeable undercoat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i dont know about them very deep.but according to u how can i find out whether it cud get wooly undercoat or not?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
The vast majority of GSDs have an undercoat. Chances are the pup will. What does the dams coat look like that makes you say she is single coated? Are either or both of these dogs long coats?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
bhanu, just go back for a visit with the breeder. They can tell you right away.

You have any pictures to post of sire/dam and puppy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts