German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I live in Central Florida and I've been looking all over the internet trying to find breeders. It seems like everyone that I find is just really expensive, 2500-3000 dollars. I want a male with black/red, black/tan, or all black coat. I will never show or breed my dog but still would like to have AKC registration just because.

Is this the price range I will have to be in or will there be reputable breeders that are in a lower price bracket?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Well, first off.. welcome from another Central Floridian!

Second... before anyone can really start suggesting breeders..... what kind are you looking for?

Going off the coat colors you listed: Black and Reds are generally German Show Lines.... but the other colors can be American Show Line and Working Lines as well.

What type of temperament are you looking for? High drives/lower drives? Are you looking to work the dog in anything specific or just a pet?

I know of a few great breeders that I've dealt with or have seen dogs from their breeding train and grow at our training group. But most are working line, and a few german show line breeders.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More or less just a pet, the dog isnt going to have a real job. Maybe a little sent work or dock diving for fun like I'm gonna start doing with Zoey.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live in NY and although a huge state, there are very few breeders of any kind. I don't know why, but a handful of states (with FL among them) contain probably 90% of all breeders. Never understood why...

·
Registered
4,237 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Are you ok with shipping in a pup from another state or traveling a bit? I know of some really great breeders... but, most are going to be out of state. Unfortunately, FL doesn't hold too many great breeders. We have a few, but they are mostly very small hobby breeders and can be extremely hard to find unless you are in sporting clubs. They are mostly word of mouth.

The breeder that I got Storm from (and also where I train)... he has really great dogs. He breeds working line GSDs for sporting and K9 work, but he still has a lot of success with his pups going to family homes as well. I can give you his contact info if you'd like. He's located around the UCF area, on the Orlando/Oviedo border.

As of German Show Lines (The red and blacks) Huerta Hof German Shepherds (Robin Huerta) has some absolutely stunning dogs.... she's also a member here.

Wolfstraum, Wildhaus, and Johnson Haus German Shepherds have some very successful working line dogs. They are members here, and many of their pup's owners are on here too.

I don't have a ton of suggestions for Florida, but if you broaden your horizon a bit you can really find an awesome GSD at a better price (2500+ is really high... I know most working lines can be found at 1200-1500. Not sure of the going price on show lines these days though, they are a bit higher.). Anyway, good luck with your search! :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm in Columbus, GA and only personally know of three big breeders in the South East. I'm quite certain there are many more (with the numbers of pups that show up on Craigslist, oy) but I haven't met them personally.

I can recommend one in FL, but her prices are in or above the range you mention. Another in GA is lower priced but I don't know a whole lot about her dogs or prices. Her stud male is all black. She has them all professionally handled. I met one of her females last weekend at a UKC show and she had a very even temperament and took BOB out of 12 GSDs more often than not. Have you considered approaching a rescue?

·
Registered
338 Posts
von der sauk

type "von der sauk" into your browser. Shannon and Frans are great. I will let their Website tell you the rest. In South Carolina.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts