German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching the Leerburg videos and trying to learn training methods. Should I just find a trainer and take her to classes or should I do it myself?

Thanks!

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
If you can afford it, find a good trainer - either in public classes or in pvt. instruction!

Much much better! Esp. if you are just starting out.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Classes are always the better option. Even experienced trainers here will tell you that they still attend classes with their dogs, even though they sometimes know as much (or more) than the trainer they are using.

Of course, do your homework and choose a trainer whose methods will work for you and your dog. Attend a few classes and observe before committing yourself. Ask for recommendations here. Call your local kennel club and schutzhund club and talk to the training directors.

And have fun training!
Sheilah

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is a 4 month old GS (mix I think, not sure could be pure) from the shelter. Anyone live around Kansas City, MO? I will give the club a call tomorrow thank you for the advice. What is the average rate for classes?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
If you can afford it, find a good trainer - either in public classes or in pvt. instruction!

Much much better! Esp. if you are just starting out.
I absolutely agree. Classes aren't just about what the pup is supposed to be learning. It's about socialization out and about AND mostly teaching me...

No matter how much I read or what DVD's I watch, when I'm 'doing' the training I can't really see or evaluate myself properly. Kind of a 'you don't know what you don't know' type of thing. I need that practiced eye to see and give immediate guidance so both my pup and I learn fast and well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Attending an obedience class would be much more beneficial than training your dog at home. Don't get me wrong, by attending a class, you will also be training and practicing at home, but the classes allow your puppy to gain socialization and focus skills. The rate for classes depends on the instructor or facility. Majority of classes can range from $60 to $300, depending where you go.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would also be leery of using some of Leerburg's methods on a 4 month old.
I agree. I won't even use some of Leerburg's methods on my full grown dogs.

Classes are SO much fun! I highly recommend them. I would recommend going to a class first without your puppy and observing... seeing if the methods used are ones you are comfortable with. I recommend positive based training, particularly for pups. You will be amazed at the things your pup can learn! I've attended many classes with my three dogs and am going to start up again this summer, just for the fun and learning experience. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what age do I actually start "training" and using markers? It seems as a pup you just use your voice without markers.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
So what age do I actually start "training" and using markers? It seems as a pup you just use your voice without markers.
You can start right away! It's amazing what young pups can learn. I personally do not use a clicker, I use my voice as a "marker" (with the word YES!) and reinforce with treats. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts